We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

NJ
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

One of our family members that is coming with us this trip needs to have gluten free food. I have done a lot of shopping at Fausto's in the past, but wasn't looking for GF food at that point, so I don't remember if I saw it. If they don't carry much, does the Publix have some? I know Mary Ellen's offers sandwiches on GF bread and makes GF pizza, so that will be an option.

8 replies to this topic
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

Publix has a whole gluten free section, Fausto’s has some gluten free products, more on Fleming than white because it’s bigger. The cafe has gluten free items marked, there’s also date and thyme and of course, lots of veggie and fish dishes at restaurants all over the island.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 19:27
NJ
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

Thanks, I may have to do a Publix run at some point. Yes, plenty of fish dishes - except he doesn't care for fish! So he sticks with chicken mostly, as long as any sauce or breading is gluten free.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

My daughter has needed GF diet for 16 years, and I've been GF for 9 years, we've brought daughter on vacation to the Keys since she was a little girl, it's so much easier these days. We usually drive down to KW and enjoy a few favorite GF stops alone the way. Publix has a great variety of GF items, even my favorite GF beer, Omission. ...sure wish a few more bars carried it!, or any GF beer!!! As for non-fish GF food- Date and Thyme is good if you are riding around town on bikes and need a GF snack, or quick, smaller meal. Amingos Tortilla Bar is also great for a quick GF bite, they have great chicken tacos+ much more. Mangia Mangia is our absolute, all-time favorite GF dinner in KW. They have wonderful GF pasta! Pepe's is a must for great steaks, and La Creperie has great GF crepes. Also can't miss a piece of GF KEy Lime Pie at Kermits! Only negative I've noticed on our last few trips, more and more restaurants are steaming their shrimp in beer. a no-no for us Celiac folks. Steamed shrimp has, in the past being our safe, go-to KEys' meal.

NJ
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

That's great information, thank you! I didn't realize about Mangia, Mangia. Will definitely look into that! And Le Creperie, and Kermit's. Thanks!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,383 posts
166 reviews
5. Re: Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

I’ve also noticed Banana Cafe has Gluten Free choices on their menu marked “gf.”

http://www.bananacafekw.com/dinner.htm

NJ
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

Thanks, SDT! Just looked at that and some of those look yummy! And I have been intrigued by Banana Cafe but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Excellent reason to stop in!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
780 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

I'm gluten intolerant and have no problems eating anywhere in Key West. The hardest thing is finding a cider when I'm jonesing for a beer at a bar.

The gluten free person in your group will know how to eat.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?

Hi Fred, I'm with you on that! I ask if a bar has a GF beer and all too often, they offer me cider! These things are nothing alike! I want BEER! I wish more bars everywhere, especially in KW would get a clue! :)

Reply to: Does Fausto's carry Gluten Free products?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted