We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dry Tortugas National Park

northern ca
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dry Tortugas National Park

I was really looking forward to booking an excursion to see this National Park. I waited a bit to long and missed out. The only tour operator I can find is the Yankee and it completely booked! Are there other operators? I looked into the sea plane but it is over my price range.

This will be our first trip to Florida. We are staying in Marathon. We enjoy snorkeling a lot. We will have a car and want see and do the most we can. Any tips you can provide to help us make the most of this vacation would be very much appreciated!

We will be there mid june for one week!

thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
19 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,301 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

Those are the only two economical choices.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

With only one week for your first trip you should be able to find plenty to do without the Dry Tortugas trip. I don't recommend it on a shorter trip because it takes up a full day if going by boat and unless you are a great history buff or just want to see the most remote national park in the US it just shouldn't be on your list for this trip. There are plenty of snorkeling places that rival the Dry Tortugas for much less money and time. If you feel you must see it, then allocate the money for the seaplane trip.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,767 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

Where are you staying? I stay at the Pier House and they send out a reservation reminder about two weeks before the stay. This year they also added a "Things to do in Key West" within the email with things which you could click on and presumably book. One was the Yankee Freedom. I didn't try it but I wonder if they have some reservations that are made available to guests at the hotel.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,158 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

Sombrero Reef and Coffins Patch off Marathon are great places to snorkel! (on a good weather day). Marathon also has a nice beach by Keys standards - Sombrero Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Sombrero Reef
Sombrero Reef
341 Reviews
Marathon, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Sombrero Beach
Sombrero Beach
2,856 Reviews
Marathon, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
361 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

It might be a nice beach but if staying in KW dam sure not driving over an hour to use that beach when KW has some near as nice. As to dry tortugas we do have it on bucket list but getting up that early and reserving 2 or 3 weeks in advance is an issue. Just might be worth the plane price.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

JImR, the OP is staying in marathon.

Florida
Level Contributor
361 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

OK, sorry missed that part. And yes we want to see that beach. Looks like it got bad reviews few years ago but great ones now.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

You need to call the Yankee Freedom office and see about availability. Maybe they can put you on a list. I wouldn't expect the middle of June to be that crowded, but who knows these days.

There isn't a trip that compares to the trip to Fort Jefferson. It's not only one of the hardest to get to National Parks, but it's got the best snorkeling from the beach of all beaches in the Keys.

If its not available I'd suggest a trip out to Looe Key then visit Bahia Honda or maybe do a snorkel trip off Key Largo. Anyone into snorkeling has probably got diving the "Christ of the Deep" statue site on their list.

Mentioned in this post
Largo
Largo
Florida
Florida
Level Contributor
361 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

From what I could see , taking the plane might cost extra $300 for a couple and total is about 4 hours with 2 1/2 hours at the fort. Only 40 minute trip and catch the 2 nd trip at about noon. Not sure how booked up they are but worth a try..Your not really out much if you only lost 4 hours and likely smoother ride.

Edited: 22 May 2018, 13:51
10. Re: Dry Tortugas National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 May 2018, 21:35

Reply to: Dry Tortugas National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted