We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Suites ?

Greenville, South...
7 posts
Sheraton Suites ?

Hi - going to Key West for the first time June 17th - 24th. We've made reservations at the Sheraton Suites mainly because of the beach access. Now second guessing myself. Anyone have first hand knowledge of the hotel and surrounding area?

12 replies to this topic
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,559 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

Old Town is where you stay if you want things to be walkable. From the Sheraton you will need to like your bikes - or cab/drive to most of the area attractions.

Don't come down to the Keys for the beach. You can always stay in Old Town and get a cab to the beach for a bit. Or try Fort Zachary Taylor which is closer to Old Town. The drive to the beach is a long walk but easy with bikes.

Pottsville...
Level Contributor
983 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

The beach is the last thing that should sway your decision on where to stay. Stay on Old Town and Uber or can to the beach for a day.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
166 reviews
3. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

Smather’s Beach, the beach across from the Sheraton, is the sandiest beach here and nice to sit out on. The water is very shallow and has a lot of seagrass, so swimming is not great. There is really nothing a short walk from there other than the beach and some other condos, so you will need a car to get around. June will be hot and if you’re not use to the heat and humid, biking can be tough.

If you stay in Old Town, you can walk to most attractions, restaurants and bars popular with visitors. Key West is really not a beach destination, but more about watersports, our historic district and historic attractions and just enjoying the town. If you really want to spend most of your time on the beach, there are better places in Florida to consider. A couple Old Town Resorts have small beaches, but will be more expensive than Sheraton. Look at The Pier House and The Reach for 2 examples.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

Sheraton Suites has a shuttle to Old Town which is a plus. We don't mind staying at the Doubletree just up the road from the Sheraton for this reason. We usually have a car in Key West which means it is an easy drive over to Stock Island to have lunch or dinner at the Hogfish or down Roosevelt to Salute another of our favorites. Trattoria Oceanside is near the Sheraton and also very good.

Check out a few places in Old Town but if you like the hotel and don't mind taking the shuttle you will be fine.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

We stayed a couple of nights at the Sheraton Suites in early April and really loved it. We were originally given the The Gates hotel but I changed it so that we could be near the beach and so we could also have two rooms (to have a break from our teenagers!!) I also chose the location so it was quieter at night as we wanted to be able get sleep due to our tight schedule. It is next to the airport but this wasn’t a problem at night. we used the shuttle a couple of times but there’s not much room and gets full quickly, so we took a few taxis instead which turned out pretty good as it was like having mini tours each time with different drivers going different routes with a tale to tell each time (used the pink taxis), this would get costly over a week though. All depends if you are wanting the convenience of the beach next to your hotel, or if you would rather be in the middle of the action and just be able to walk most places, different strokes for different folks.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,423 posts
660 reviews
6. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

Sheraton's are usually good to stay in. Haven't stayed here though.

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

I've stayed at the Sheraton Suites a few times, the hotel itself is nice, the shuttle to Old Town is great... Smather's is a picturesque beach , but it is shallow.

If this is your first visit , I would opt for staying in Old Town, you can find nice hotels with beach access at Casa Marina, The Reach Resort, Lamer and Dewey House, Southernmost on the Beach, and the Pier House.

Southampton, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

I've done both. I've stayed in Old Town at The Angelina on numerous occasions when I visited on my own in the past. I've also stayed at the Eden House, Southernmost Point, KW Harbor Inn and the Pier House, all in old town. However on my last trip 18 months ago I stayed for a week at the Sheraton Suites with my partner as it was his choice and where he had stayed years before with his ex wife.

Tbh both have upsides and downsides. I enjoyed old town and the fact that you can walk everywhere to bars, restaurants, attractions etc but also the week that I stayed at the Sheraton and we had a car I saw a different lazier side to KW if that makes sense. We ate out at restaurants off the beaten track and outside of Key West. The days that we did want to go down to Old town we simply caught the hotels shuttle bus but at the end of the day really couldn't wait to get back to the peace and quiet at the Sheraton. We have a beautifully large suite overlooking the pool and just wanted a week of relaxation which is exactly what we had (until we left and saw the bill).

I've often felt that staying in old town is a bit full on, noisy most of the time irrelevant of which hotel or guesthouse I've stayed in but the Sheraton allowed us to get away from that. The only time in old town that it felt relaxed and quiet was usually dawn o clock when I used to get up and go for a wander around.

One downside of staying there though was the unending charges that are now added onto the bill at the end. Instead of the $250 odd a night plus a tax we were expecting, we ended up paying near $3.5k in total. Resort charges are becoming common place and becoming exorbitant but my understanding is that most large chains in the US are charging these now so you'll get them wherever you stay (except maybe some of the guesthouses) although actually pointing this additional charge out to customers when they rock up and ask what rooms are available and the price would be helpful. For the reason we felt that we were being milked as a cash cow the last time we visited we've given up on The Keys, Florida and the US now for our holiday jaunts.

Saying all that, if you're aware and you're happy to pay those prices, then stay with the place you've booked. I couldn't fault them in terms of ease, parking, laundry, huge space, lovely pool, great food and reasonably helpful (mostly) staff. I just objected to all the "additional" charges that were not mentioned at check-in.

Greenville, South...
7 posts
9. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

Wow - thank you (all) for the responses. We opted for Sheraton due to the airport shuttle, breakfast and proximity to a beach to walk/sit on during the day time. We also wanted a bit of space in our room since we will be staying for a full week. I did see the $37 (!) a day resort fee, but got a great deal on the stay through Expedia. We will be flying in and will not have a car but not opposed the a good bike ride to town.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,757 posts
121 reviews
10. Re: Sheraton Suites ?

Places like Lazy Dog kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding will pick you up and drop you off to take one of their tours, in case you want to get out onto the water. Barefoot Billy's watersports place isn't too far away at the Casa marina (he does a morning mimosa cruise all the way 'round the island). And I noticed Sunset Watersports has a shuttle and am trying to find out if it, too, does customer pick-ups.

Pjk

Reply to: Sheraton Suites ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted