We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bone Fishing

Hilton NY
Level Contributor
136 posts
17 reviews
Bone Fishing

Best options for bonefish for 3 people, Mid July. Charter recommendations, how far in advance to book, morning vs. afternoon charters. I'm not a avid fisherman, but the other 2 members of my group are. We're planning on a half day trip. Thanks in advance.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 12:36
6 replies to this topic
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,395 posts
166 reviews
1. Re: Bone Fishing

This is a guide visiting friends have used that were very happy: https://www.bonefishingkeywest.com

It also has some information about seasons and other flats fishing.

This is done on a flats boat which only accommodate 2 people. I’m not aware of bone fishing on a boat for three, but maybe someone else can comment.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Bone Fishing

Flats fishing boats are usually two plus captain. It’s very popular here and the good guides book a year in advance.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
3. Re: Bone Fishing

Contact the Angling Company in Key West - they have the scoop on guides. Note: Key West may not have the best bonefishing, it is more a Tarpon and Permit game down there, for better bonefishing opportunities, think Marathon or Islamorada...

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Bone Fishing

Tarpon, permit and bonefish, all found in key west waters. As said before, very popular down here on the flats.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,754 posts
121 reviews
5. Re: Bone Fishing

If you plan to be in Key West for several days or even better a week, you can walk along the Key West Bight and there will be many potential boats to use for a charter. They will have signs posted on the pier. You can get a look at the boats and if you go in the morning can usually chat with the captains to get an idea of what's being caught, where they go, costs, etc.

Pjk

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
110 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Bone Fishing

Call Dream Catcher Charters and see if they have availability or can get you a charter booked with someone.

Bonefishing is tough. We've fished KW for 4-5 days for 5 years now and we've never hooked a bone fish. We always go with Dream Catchers, and we've seen bone fish, but you need to be a pretty good caster to get one hooked.

I would definitely not set my sights solely on bonefish. I would keep an open mind. I personally LOVE tarpon, but they are tricky too. If I had to pick something "easier" to catch, but still a thrilling fight I would pick a barracuda every time. Their speed and power for their size is pretty impressive, and jacks are generally pretty fun fighters.

Reply to: Bone Fishing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted