We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

Trying to decide last minute which place to stay. Late 30s/early 40s couple looking to relax by the pool/beach. Got a great deal for Best Western, but a decent deal for the Gingerbread Rooms at Southern Most have popped up. It's about $350 more to stay at Southern Most.

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
110 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
120 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
396 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
14 replies to this topic
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

either . depending on your personal preferences and whether budget is an issue . Hibiscus is really not much of a step down .. room are clean , large and you get everything I can imagine needing during a KW stay . you get no location benefit as they are so close together .

I would personally save the cash for some unforgettable dinners or some other activity

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,793 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

Don't let that beach at the Southernmost enter into your decision. It's a public beach so wherever you stay you can use it. I'd do the least expensive and go for those dinners or happy hour drinks and apps.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
The Southernmost Inn
The Southernmost Inn
1,110 Reviews
Key West, FL
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,156 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

Southernmost has a sale going on - not sure if I have the same link you do but they have been blowing my email up.

And as mentioned. I wouldn't stay there just for the beach. It would have to be that I really liked the room or something else.

https://southernmostbeachresort.reztrip.com/classic/en/special_offer?action=show&controller=landings&locale=en&rate_code[]=SUMLMD&rate_code[]=SUMLMD&starting_page=special_offer&utm_campaign=May-2018&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=May-2018-Blast&utm_term=Offer&vr=3

Mentioned in this post
Southernmost Beach Resort
6,400 Reviews
Key West, FL
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,828 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

The “Gingerbread rooms” are rooms in buildings across the street from the oceanfront buildings in what used to be the Southernmost Hotel. Rooms there would be very similar to the rooms at Best Western Hibiscus.

Also, BW Hibiscus has free parking and no resort fee, versus Southernmost charging $35 a night for a resort fee, so factor that into your price difference. I don’t think I would spend the extra money. If you want to use the beach there, you can rent 2 chairs for $20. Less than the daily resort fee.

Mentioned in this post
The Southernmost Inn
The Southernmost Inn
1,110 Reviews
Key West, FL
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

You might want to check out the Southernmost Pointe Guest House. We are staying there in July and it’s only $210 a night for a king room. They have breakfast, free parking, afternoon wine and you can use the larger pool at another property. The rooms aren’t the cutest but it’s close to a lot of things and affordable.

Mentioned in this post
The Southernmost Inn
The Southernmost Inn
1,110 Reviews
Key West, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
361 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

We got burned once by Southernmost on the beach. We expected to have a room in the building on the beach. Guess what, our room was a motel 1 block away. And yes charged for resort and beach. It is the ONLY place we ever gave a 1 star to. The trick they use is all in the name and does not mean your room is on the beach. Been just as well off to stay at Southwinds and it is far cheaper. And yes anyone can use the public beach.

Can't rate Hibiscus because never tried them. So given the choice of the 2 Best Western Hibiscus would be it..

Really ? What resort? Parking at a motel ? Hope they read this and they did read my 1 star.

Mentioned in this post
6,400 Reviews
Key West, FL
Southwinds Motel
Southwinds Motel
990 Reviews
Key West, FL
Deerfield Beach...
Level Contributor
800 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

I would say you pick the cheaper of the two if you want the deal. As someone else noted, that is a public beach next to Soutnernmost. Not even a good beach IMO. I would go with BW.

Florida
Level Contributor
361 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

Curious as to if that pier is also public property ? Can you buy land on the actual water ?

Jamestown, North...
Level Contributor
114 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

I have not stayed at Southern Most but I have stayed at the Best Western numerous times and have a stay booked there for August. Best Western was always great never had any issues there, no resort fee, close to a couple of beaches, the southernmost point, trolley stop etc. Save the money for a nice dinner or shopping.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach

Yes jimr, you can actually buy bay bottom. I’m pretty sure that pier is private property

Reply to: Best Western Hibiscus or Southern Most Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted