We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking in residential areas

7 posts
Save Topic
parking in residential areas

Renting an airbnb off of Eaton. Are streets around there clearly labeled with "resident parking" signs? I just don't want to get ticketed or towed for parking somewhere illegal overnight.

24 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking in residential areas

The spots themselves will say resident parking on the pavement. There is usually one non resident spot mixed in every few spots. I would be more concerned with using air bnb in KW as they have had many issues with illegal rentals in town. Hopefully you checked into this and have a legitimate, legal rental.

Deerfield Beach...
Level Contributor
800 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking in residential areas

I do not think AirB&B is legal in KW, but all spots that are residents will be marked. I believe most are noted on the ground. Make sure you read signs and do not park in spots that require a meter. Unless you plan on paying of course.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 20:12
Florida
Level Contributor
361 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking in residential areas

Just be extra careful as they are on the paved part and could be faded. Your best chance is side streets off Eaton. Or just use the Grinell parking garage , think it is under $20 a day. And yes KW is having issues with some illegal rentals. Call the city and tell them where you are staying and they can tell you. You dam sure don't want a ticket or a tow. KW uses parking fines as major income.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,156 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking in residential areas

I would be more concerned with the rental from AirB&B in KW.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking in residential areas

Residential streets will be all residential spots, not mixed in, it varies by street , not spot. Definitely check you’re air B&B , most if not all do not have transient licenses. Neighbors are all over this and not only will you be ticketed for parking but most likely tossed from the home. Sorry, but this is a huge problem here and we will call it in.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,828 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking in residential areas

There are some blocks with a mix of residential spots and open spots. At least that’s how it is in my neighborhood around the Southernmost Point. Look for the “permit or residence only” painted on the street. Double check, they can be hard to see.

I agree about Airbnb. You can call the City Code Complience and ask if the address is legal. It is very sensitive here and the owner will be fined and shut down and you may find you don’t have anywhere to stay. Budget B&Bs would be my suggestions. Look at Caribbean House or Speakeasy Inn. If your Airbnb price is well below these rates, it likely not legit.

Mentioned in this post
Southernmost Point
Southernmost Point
9,390 Reviews
Key West, FL
Caribbean House
Caribbean House
287 Reviews
Key West, FL
Speakeasy Inn
Speakeasy Inn
581 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking in residential areas

SDT, I never noticed that, seems more complicated that it needs to be.

. I did hear that there might be more residential spots added as they are needed. I hope this is true.

Ebensburg, PA
Level Contributor
92 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: parking in residential areas

I agree about the airbnb rental. You could easily find yourself scammed or even out on your ear if you do get into the home. Very few properties are legal airbnb rentals and the city is working hard to crack down. ditto for Craigslist. Buyer beware.

7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: parking in residential areas

So I just validated that this is run by a legit vacation rental company. For some reason, this property was listed through airbnb. "Local support, A+ BBB accredited"

Edited: 23 May 2018, 21:47
Florida
Level Contributor
361 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: parking in residential areas

Parking is a serious issue and is why when you find the ideal BB that has off street parking , great location, and a staff that cares about you that you quickly see that paying an extra $50 to $100 per day is worth it. We could find cheaper places but don't want all the added problems. So if you manage to find a free spot to park, you best not move it as will be filled fast. Think what parking and a great free breakfast is worth and if only a few feet Off the 200 block of Duval you will pay it if in your budget.

Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
772 Reviews
Key West, FL
Reply to: parking in residential areas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted