We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Excursion!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin Excursion!

We are going on the 3 1/2 hour glass-bottom boat ride that takes you out to swim with the dolphins and snorkeling. We are going July 2nd (My 42nd Birthday!) Has anyone else been on this trip that can you tell me about it? My daughter (who will be 11) is thrilled about the idea of being close to the dolphins, but is worried about getting in the water. I took her snorkeling in the Bahamas last year, she jumped in the water and got right back out and spent the rest of the time feeding the fish from the boat while I was snorkeling.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,209 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin Excursion!

I'd like to hear about the trip when you get back but about the snorkeling...

try to get hold of a just a mask and snorkel then take your daughter into a pool with just the mask on and have her get used to holding her breath and ducking underwater so that she is comfortable. Make sure the mask does not leak. Some of the ships that go out now have children's masks to use because the adult ones are too big for a child's face.

Then have her use the snorkel by standing in the shallow end of the pool and just bending over at the waist so that she can put her head into the water and breathe through the tube. Then she can put it all together by floating and breathing to see how easy it can be.

If you take her on a trip she will be in water over her head but you can inflate her life-vest so that she will basically be floating on it. And assuming she will be holding your hand, don't worry about her wearing fins. These will be just one more thing for her to worry about and get used to, and you will basically be just pulling her along.

Pjk

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin Excursion!

You must be talking about Froggies!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,209 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin Excursion!

M - you mean the little masks? Is that what they are called?

Pkl

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,933 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin Excursion!

Get a belly float rather than the life vest type float. We used those in Cancun and they work much better for snorkeling. Just kind of keeps you floating without much effort. She may be scared of what is in the water, maybe you can find a video that would show her what to expect in the water (not one with sharks!)

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin Excursion!

No, the trip is on Froggies, it's a boat. Been here for a LONG time. For some reason the site is down, but I see the boat, and they are still booking on other sites.

I'll find out more.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin Excursion!

This sounds like a nice trip. I'd love to hear about other people's experience with Froggy's.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin Excursion!

I thought swimming with the dolphins is prohibited in Key West, we booked one that led us to believe we were going to swim with the dolphins, once we got out to their playground, that was not the deal! I coulda went on different dolphin encounter tour for a lot less, to just view them!

Am I misinformed, or are there trips that let ya swim with them?

8. Re: Dolphin Excursion!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 07:20