We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dry Tortugas

Boston...
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dry Tortugas

Question trying to figure out which way to go on Dry Tortugas. Who gives you the most actual time out on the island? Who has the best info and tour on Fort Jefferson? Thanks Rae

Key Lime Bike Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Lost Reef Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Key West Water Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Waterskiing & Jetskiing
Up The Keys
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dry Tortugas

Both ferries give you about 4.5 hours on the island. The seaplane gives you about 2 hours.

The Yankee Freedom is a better boat. It is big and has both an enclosed, air conditioned lower deck and an open upper deck. When the seas get rough, this is the boat you want to be on.

Sunnydays has a much smaller boat with no open deck. It can be a very rough ride in high seas, and as anyone who has ever gotten sea sick, you want to be outside if you get motion sickness.

Apart from the boat, both the Yankdd Freedom and Sunnydays trips are virtually identical. Both give a nice picnic lunch on the island, a 45 minute tour of the fort, snorkeling gear and free drinks on the island. I've tried both operators, and their crews are friendly, helpful and try to make sure everyone has fun.

Sunnyday's is the cheaper of the 2 excursions, but for me riding on a bigger and more comfortable boat for 4 hours is worth the additional $15.

boca raton
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dry Tortugas

Do you mean between the boats and the sea plane. I was there last July, I stayed in Islamorada and went down to Key West for the day. We took the last sea plane out for the day. They say that is an especially good time because all of the ferry boats have gone for the day. So, we had the whole island to ourselves with about 9 people total (all that were on the plane). Very lonely or very relaxing depending on how you look at it. Very few people at that time of the day. The sea plane ride over is magnificent, but if you have ever flown to the bahamas, in a small plane, it is almost the same thing. Others, enjoy the ride over by boat, longer, but more relaxing.

Some people swear by the boat, other, the plane. Taking a sea plane is something that most people don't do, and you get the perpective from above. Seaplanes are definitely unusual and if you have never flown a small plane, this is the way to go. Taking another day cruise out of Key West will give you same boat experience, almost.

There was no scheduled tour, we went on our own!

Boston...
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dry Tortugas

Thanks, Looks like the Yankee Freedom is the way to go, it's defiantly worth an extra $15.00. I grew up around boats, but the rest of my family has never been out on a trip like that. Open air is good and I'll plan on giving them all Dramamine !

Boston...
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dry Tortugas

I'd loved the plane! But I don't think I'd get them all on it!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dry Tortugas

I've done the plane also, and the flight out to the island is awesome. I just don't think 2 hours on the island is enough.

Dramamine is a good idea. In the summer, the seas are usually pretty calm. But if you go in winter or spring, the last hour out and first hour back can be rough. I've seen people who gorged themselves on breakfast or were hungover from the previous night hanging over the railings.

It's a really great trip and I'm sure you will have a good time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dry Tortugas

School is out june 19. I'm hitting the road for 2 weeks!. I should make Key West by the 23th! Counting the days!

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dry Tortugas

BTW, the tours around the fort are conducted by National Park Rangers, not the boat or seaplane companies. We had an absolutely delightful, self-described "fort geek" for our tour, and I'm sure you'll have just such a nice experience.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,176 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dry Tortugas

It's good to know a little bit about the island and the fort before you go, even get an idea of where you can snorkel and swim or jus relax ...

http://www.nps.gov/drto/

When I was there the bathrooms o the island are closed when the ships are in.

Pjk

Boston...
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dry Tortugas

I checked out the history of the fort on line. Dr mudd's cell and the story was great my youngest is 12 & a us history buff so he amped about this piece of history. The tail end of our 2 weeks will be in D.C. for 2 night!

Boston...
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dry Tortugas

Thanks for the link Pjk one of the best I've seen. I now know what Dry Tortugas stands for! By the time this trip is over I might mbe a expert too, LOL!

Get answers to your questions about Key West