We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worried

Indiana
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
worried

first time to Kw, CONCERNED, WORRIED about sharks,,, ? when I go to beach do I need be watching at all times.... ?

also, reading a lot about "bars and the night life" is there plenty to do if you are not a bar hopper ?

this site has been so helpful, got to make the best of this vacation, I run Daycares and I NEED the relaxing beach and breeze for a few days...

thanks much

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: worried

Sharks are in the ocean. That's where they live. I can't remember a shark attack around KW though. Why worry? Just be aware of your surroundings when swimming.

There is plenty to do if you are not a bar hopper. Look at the overview page and other forum postings. You don't need to be a bar hopper to enjoy KW.

The beaches aren't that great on KW but you might like to take a snorkeling trip to the reefs around KW

Now quit worrying and have fun. KW is a worry free zone.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: worried

One more thing; if you are worried about a shark attack, bring a lawyer with you. Sharks will never attack when a lawyer is present. It is a professional courtesy. :-) LOL

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: worried

There are plenty of things to do while in KW, other than going to bars. You won't be bored at all! Lots of fascinating history down there, places to visit, things to see and do. I would suggest doing a little research if you haven't yet, you'll probably find so many things that interest ya, you won't be able to fit them all in!!!

About the sharks, you may want to try a snorkeling or kayaking trip, you'll be with others, and feel safer in the water, plus see lots of amazing sea creatures! I encountered a 5-6 ft nurse shark, and it paid absolutely NO attention to me at all (probably about 8-10 ft from me) and it was the highlight of my trip! I know that may sound crazy to some. Just use common sense. There are some local experts that can give you more info than myself on these issues, just relax, don't worry, and have a great trip!!! I would suggest the Conch Tour Train, it's very informative and gives you an idea where things are at. I like the aquarium also, and of course the sunset celebration, at least once.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: worried

IndianaMeme

Having been a certified diver since 84 and having done a lot of diving in the Keys in that time, and considering that I am originally from Indiana and have never been eaten by a shark, I can come to but one conclusion.

Sharks don't like Hoosiers.

So stop worrying.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: worried

nobody say cuda! Shhhh

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: worried

I did meet up with an EXTREMELY large cuda once up near Layton. He decided to follow me for a while. I decided to get the hell out of dodge. I also got bumped once by a cuda while lobstering. I was upside down looking under a coral head. Some fishermen decided to show up after I was in the water and drug a lure over the top of me. The cuda was chasing the lure. Cudas don't see well. He ran into me while I was upside down. I flipped over in time to see cuda a$$ swimming away from me at a high rate of speed chasing the lure. I was a bit irritated when I found out what had happened.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: worried

If the hook set, you would have been a bit more irritated......BRUCE ON!!!! BRUCE ON FLATLINE!!!!!!

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: worried

Ya got that right. The Divemaster on the boat was on his PA calling them every name in the book.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: worried

Sharks are so maligned it would be ridiculous if not for the wanton killing of them around the world.

Last year, according to the International Shark Attack File, there were four - that's four! - humans killed by sharks. On average, it's six.

Here's the link to that info.

…ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/statsw.htm

However, last year alone, 60,000,000 sharks were killed by humans.

That's 60 MILLION. That's according to the National Wildlife Federation. It is estimated that 38 million were slaughtered for their fins alone. I say slaughtered because the fin is cut from the shark and the shark is dumped back in the ocean often still alive after bleeding profusely for several hours.

Sharks bites happen more frequently. Here in the Keys, we have had 18...since 1952, half of which were "provoked." Which averages to one every three years. Over the entire Keys.

(By the way, provoked means that a human - and a male human, by a ratio of higher than 90%, go figure - actually encouraged the "attack." However, in fact, I call such attacks "natural selection."

Meaning, unless you coat yourself in Seal smell, dress like seal, and do a sexy seal dance in front of a hungry non-Nurse or Bonnethead shark (we have a lot of these cute and harmless unless provoked sharks) and swim offshore at night then you are unlikely to the attention of a shark around these parts.

Lastly, more humans were killed by DOGS just last year then by sharks in the past one hundred. How come Steven Spielberg doesn't make THAT movie? You know, PAWS.

Sharks have a bad rep thanks to Hollywood and television "documentaries," but the truth while less glamorous is far more exciting.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: worried

Wow, those are sorrowful and interesting stats.

Get answers to your questions about Key West