We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
795 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

Well, my husband and I are booked to go to Key West on May 23rd, to visit my parents and celebrate our Anniversary and his birthday. I was thinking about sunset cruises, snorkeling, riding bikes, lots of fun plans.

This past Saturday, he had a freak golf cart accident (I swear, I could not make this up) and broke the everloving hell out of his right arm. He snapped both the radius and ulna, had to have surgery, and is facing a 3 month recuperation.

His surgeon said he can still go, but no driving, no getting it wet, no activities where he could possibly bang it, or reinjure it. He's in a big old cast. I can drive us from Ft Lauderdale to KW, not a problem. But, needless to say, we can rule out biking, swimming, sailing etc. I guess there are worse things than spending our entire vacation sitting in bars looking out at the water, but does anyone have any suggestions on other easy going activities we can do given his circumstances?

Thanks in advance.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

I'm very sorry to hear about his accident. I don't have any recommendations but if you still make the trip I hope you have a great time. Keep us posted.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

Margaritas, a tasty spleef and room service? I'll deliver some killer ribs whereever you're staying!

I dunno, but come anyway, it would be so disappointing not to. We'll do our best to make you all comfy.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
795 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

Oh, we are still planning on coming. Or at least I am - he is waffling but I am sure as the days go by and he gets around more, he will still want to go. I am just trying to figure out some alternative plans, since we'll be so limited in what he can do.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

If the weather's calm, I'd still go on a sunset cruise. We've never gotten a bit wet on the schooners.

Get a little more history than you planned. Visit the Truman White House. Hemingway's House. See the Butterfly garden. No, it isn't what you planned, but it's still Key West, and it's wonderful.

If your husband isn't uncomfortable and the cast isn't too heavy, do a walking tour of the cemetary. Great way to spend an hour.

We spend time in Key West each year, and many times we don't really do a darn thing, and have a wonderful time.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

None of that means he can't still go on the boats, even with a broken wing. Folks will take good care of him, and he'll enjoy being with you. I had a friend who I brought on Sebago who we could not figure out, could not snorkel....turns out he didn't have enough teeth in the front to keep the water out. (I do have nice friends). He and his family stayed on the boat with 10 others and had a ball.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

Wife and I are also heading down on May 23rd till 6/2. Love to meet and have a drink at any Bar. We can talk about funny things that have happened to us.

PJ

Boston...
Level Contributor
160 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

So sorry to hear about the accident, that is scary that you can get that injured from a golf cart.

Key West will make him feel better just the scenery alone puts a smile on anyones face. There will

be plenty for him to do and maybe get his spirts up a bit. Who doesn't love KW Happy Hour's. As long

you are staying near or on Duval you will be fine on foot, no need for bikes. Its sounds like you both

need the trip:) How many days and where are you staying? We will all put heads together and make up a

rocking intenery. Off the top you have , museums, trolly tours, sunset cruise, ghost tour, or my favorite sitting @ the pool

catching on my favorite books/magazines and of course my FAVORITE BAR AND RESTAURANTS:)

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
795 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

Thanks - you are all reassuring me that we can still have a great trip despite his injury.

We are staying on Caroline just a couple blocks off Duval, so walking is not a big deal. Plus, we are staying with my parents and could use their car if need by, although I doubt we will because we won't drive if we've been drinking, and we will for sure be drinking. (He'll be off pain meds by then).

Although this is not our first trip to KW, there are still lots of attractions we have never seen, so I am sure we'll find things to keep busy.

I am feeling a little better about this already.

Boston...
Level Contributor
160 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

Great Location!!! You guys are alset I am glad we twisted your arm. This will be ou 6 trip to KW and we always discover something new. We are always on foot too (drinks happen)so you won't feel like your missing anything. Have a wonderful time and good luck with the arm??!!!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hmmm, time to rethink our trip plans

Sorry to hear about the accident. Even with the cast, your husband can still go out on the boats. Sunset sails would be just fine, especially on a tall ship like one of the Liberty ships. You can go to the Dry tortugas, and hang on the beach or explore the fort. All the museums and attractions in KW should still be available to him. Granted, he can't do everything, but you will still have a great time.