We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

Orlando
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

As there is currenty a great post on Key Lime Pie - Kermit's vs. Blonde Giraffe...

Just to make you aware if you did not know already.

I am blessed that my Dad has been to KW with my family and I at least 10 out of the last 12 years. He is now 75 years old and has always been an exercise fanatic and still is. He and I will walk 3 - 4 miles in KW each morning. The best vacation spot that I have ever been to for walking and sight seeing! Anyhoo - my BS reading was normal prior to one of our walks and during the walk we stopped for a piece of KL Pie (not normal - we usually just walk and talk). Well after hour after I got back to my room and rechecked my BS level it was over 400! At the time I did not understand why.

Since then I saw a recipe for KLP in the Sunday Parade Magazine and the calorie count was 700! No wonder......

If you Google KLP you will see many different calorie levels and many low cal recipes. I would suspect that any KLP that you eat in KW would be towards the 700 calorie count.

Beware and prepare.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

GalleonLvr,

It's unfortunate that your blood glucose level shot that high after a piece of Key Lime Pie. I would be unhappy, but with my meds and not the dessert! Sure we're supposed to limit our intake of things like that, but I can tell you that last night I finished my latest Key Lime Pie creation and that my BG level didn't get above 165 at most. Thank the forces of the universe (especially gila monsters) for Byetta, Actos, and Metformin!

Steve in Houston

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

And here I was, hoping you were going to say that you found a KLP that diabetics could safely eat and not have their BS go up. Oh, well, I'll keep dreaming. LOL.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

I found this one for you:

Ingredients:

1 Packet Knox Unflavored Gelatin

3 tbsp Lime juice

1/2 cup Boiling water

9 1-gram packets Equal (aspartame) su

1 9-inch graham cracker crust Lime zest

1 cup Evaporated skim milk

1 tsp Vanilla Juice of 1 1/2 limes

2 drop Green food coloring (eeewww)

Preparation:

Sprinkle gelatin over lime juice and let it stand for i minute. Add

boiling water and sweetener to gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin

is dissolved. Refrigerate about 45 minutes or until slightly

thickened.

Combine milk and vanilla and freeze 30 minutes. Remove from

freezer and whip at high speed until stiff. Stir lime juice and food

coloring into whipped milk. (Save remaining 1/2 lime for garnish.)

Slowly blend gelatin mixture into whipped milk.

Spoon pie filling into crust. Chill until firm. Garnish with

lime zest and lime slices. Cut into 8 even portions and serve 1

portion per serving. Nutritive value per serving: 111 calories; 14

gm. cholesterol; 4 gm. protein; 5 gm. fat; 130 mg. sodium Food

Exchanges per serving: 1 bread, 1 fat Low-sodium diets: Use salt-free

crust

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

Thanks, for the recipe. I'll substitute the Equal with Stevia ... just don't like artificial sweetners. Now to convince the other half to bake me one or two or three. LOL. Thanks again.

Orlando
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

Thanks KWT - Looks like a tasty recipe. I will try it this summer.

Ms. Galleon (ZippyK) and I will be in town from June 16 - 23rd and hope to be able to meet up with you for a drink. I'll post a roll call this week.

Thanks again.

Newark, DE
Level Contributor
217 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

Your post reminds me of my beloved (adult onset, insulin dependant) grandfather.

He dearly loved pecan pie. I remember, even as a little girl, he'd sigh as he beheld his favorite dessert and say "Well, another exrtra 5 units tonight". I didn't understand until years later he meant he needed an extra 5 units of regular insulin to cover his indulgence.

You know what? He lived well into his 80's !!!

Don't fret my friend. So long as you're minding your diet/BS/exercise and keeping otherwise healthy, the occaisonal indescretions won't wreck too much havoc on your A1C glucose tests.

United States
Level Contributor
20,847 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

I was on a cruise a few weeks ago and one evening for dessert I had sugar free key lime pie. I thought it was very good, not up to Key West standards I sure, but very good.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

There is a good chance that limited sugar in the KLP is stil going to raise the BG. The crust is all carbs! as well. I would not think that a BG of 400 after a piece is that abnormal, becase of the sugars and carbs not the calories. I know some people who have become quite skilled at cheating by adjusting insulin doses or adding short acting Humulog just before the indulgence. If you are on oral meds ( non insulin) it is almost impossible to cheet like this because there is less control of the dosing.

Orlando
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

Todday -

Yes, insulin all the way. I do use Humalog daily but it is often difficult in Key West unless I am in my hotel room. I am often out and about for long periods at a time and with the summer heat, I don't feel comfortable leaving it unrefridgerated for hours and hours in Ms. Galleon's purse. On shorter excursions I will always bring it with me (you never know when Pina Coladas, KLP, etc. will come calling) I do have a specialty ice pack type of carrier but it is extremely bulky (not about to wear a "fanny pack").

Makes things interesting!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key Lime Pie for Diabetics

Any diabetic who is not on Byetta should have her/his head examined. I'm one of 5 diabetics in my office who is on "lizard spit" as users call it, and we have all lost substantial weight and seen unbelivable changes in our labs (like triglycerides going from 674 to 147). It makes it possible for me to enjoy sweets--including the Key Lime Pies I make regularly using one of the many so-called "original" recipes from KW.

On another note: A great substitution for graham cracker crusts (or any other crust, for that matter) is crushed almonds. Very tasty and low carb.

Steve in Houston