We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An unscientific poll

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
Save Topic
An unscientific poll

When you come to Key West, of the time you spend away from your hotel, how much time do you spend on Duval and how much time off Duval? (in percentages). For the purpose of this question, Front St (Rum Barrel, Two friends, The Rooftop, etc as well as Kellys is to be counted as being "on Duval". Also tell us how many times you have been here.

For example in my case

.1% on duval 99.9% off Duval, I have been here, uhm, Oh I live here!

Let's see what we come up with here.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An unscientific poll

Following CBK's rules, i'd guess I spend about 10% on Duval. I do stop in the Rum Barrel and Rooftop occasionally, but the section of Duval I tend to frequent more is the Atlantic end, south of Truman. It is less touristy and has some very good restaurants and bars there.

I can't count all the times I have visited, but it has to be at least 15 times.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An unscientific poll

Most of my time spent on Duval since the bars and shops of interest to me are on Duval. My opinion of Duval differs from that of most people: If you ignore the T-shirt shops (just look past them like they are beggars on the street), then you can see Duval as an interesting place.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,499 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An unscientific poll

Are we talking eating/drinking or simply wandering? I'm guessing we walk the length of Duval almost once a day when we're in town. We don't drink at most of the bars, haven't been in Sloppy Joes in years and I've never been in Irish Kevins. We do finish most nights at Virgilio's, not sure if you consider that Duval.

I also like the food at Fogarty's and Jack Flats and Lobos. Also we generally stop a time or two at the outdoor bar at La Te Da for a drink.

We've been coming to Key West once or twice a year for about 10 years.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An unscientific poll

If i go by the rules I would have to say 10% ( about 3 hours a day)

of my time is spent on or near Duval. Enough time for dinner and a

few drinks and maybe some shopping.

As far as how maney times have I been there,It's hard to say.

We have been going to the keys 4 to 5 times a year for about 15 years. Most of the time we stay in or near KW.

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An unscientific poll

I'd say about 20%, and like Simkieth, we spend a lot of time on the Atlantic side, as it's very beautiful and more peaceful. I don't mind Duval one bit, but it's definitely not my favorite part of the island.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: An unscientific poll

If you're only here once or so a year, of course Duval is going to be part of the program. There's a boatload of entertainment, music, bars, people watching and food on Duval and it's our draw for a lot of visitors.....the whole concept of "anything goes, it's margarita flavored mayhem" and all that. Some of our best restaurants are there as well......but the undercurrent of BK's post, in my opinion only, echos what I've been trying to push as well, and that's getting visitors to venture out into the neighborhoods and meet US, the local people that have great pride in showing off the true island's colors, not the retail nightmare that is all over the internet (Duval). We have had SO much fun meeting visitors at our meetings, TA gatherings (when I'm not 2 hours early) and hearing people speak of boats, new friends, and experiences not possible at home from people with big smiles on their faces. It makes a better vacation, and it's at least why I'm on this board.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An unscientific poll

But I'm confused about this topic and why it pops up every once in a while. Has someone posted, either as a new topic or in response to a Q...

"Def stay on Duval. All the best is on Duval. Whatever you do, don't venture off Duval because you might meet someone who lives in KW or walk into a place only locals go." "Duval *is* Key West."

Whenever people ask where to stay, places on and off Duval come up. Whenever favorite happy hours, favorite bars, favorite dining places, etc come up, places on and off Duval Street come up. Places for wedding receptions...on and off. Yadda yadda yadda.

Where does the perception that people who have been to Key West more than a few times are only interested in Duval Steet come from? Can you point me to some actual post or thread that, especially now after the last several months, that leads you to believe this?

Thanks

Pjk

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An unscientific poll

PJK - I think almost any first time visitor is going to spend a lot of time on Duval. It is, after all, the "famous" street and everyone has to do Duval. I think most return visitors do venture further out (I certainly hope they do) and try to see the "real" KW. It doesn't mean we long time visitors don't enjoy some of the places on Duval, but as lot of us tire of it quickly, especially the usual tourist traps, crowds of pushy boat people and stinky, noisy bars.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An unscientific poll

I have read several questions that asked specifically about accomodations, dining/drinking and activities on Duval. Some folks, whose only source of info seems to be the Travel Channel, believe that Duval St. is the be all/end all of KW. Keep telling them about the rest of the island.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An unscientific poll

We spend about 20% as an average on Duval, I will never get sick of walking down Duval. We love to begin and end the day walking Duval. Now for a shopping day I would say 60% of the time is on Duval.

PJ