We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thanks, key west forum + trip report

The Frozen North...
Level Contributor
414 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
thanks, key west forum + trip report

Hi to all. We haven't posted in a while: my husband asked you all about key west in June a while back, and we're glad we took your advice to come on down. Our third time to key west was quite a charm. This is a long post: I am enjoying reliving an amazing week.

We flew into Ft.Lauderdale, decided that beats flying into Miami, even tho I messed up the direcs and it took us longer to get to the Keys than planned. We stopped for lunch at Snapper's, a great waterfront place in Key Largo that I highly recommend, and had grilled mahi sandwiches, cold beer, and no talk involving the word "why." If you are a 30-something toddler parent, you will smile now. The rest of the drive, as before, rocked. It's just that beautiful.

We stayed at the Pier House, this was in mid June, for a week. The construction was not intrusive, the beach was immaculate, our garden view room overlooking the pool was spacious with a nice little deck and a palatial bathroom. Pricey, but the luxury of taking a dip in the pool or hotub at 2 am after a nite on duval, plus the beach, keeps luring us back to pier house. Money well spent, carpe diem.

Every trip to key west has surprised us, in a good way. This time, we discovered the schooner wharf bar -- all the talk on this site is true -- the music is funky, the tropical breeze is fantastic, and we came back 3 times for an outdoor dinner of oysters on the halfshell, coconut shrimp and drunken shrimp. Royalty could not eat better. That was the best coconut shrimp i've ever had. And it wansn't the mojitos talking. Which were excellent, btw. Try them with the passionfruit rum. Next time, we will have to seek you all out at the bar. Thank you chris case and all the other cool musicians we saw that week. The night we saw Case playing, a guy pedaled up on his bicycle, sang three blues songs that would put anyone in a bar in the village in nyc to shame, absolutely amazing, then took off. I love key west. Damn. Do not miss it. Food-wise, we love the dolphin sandwich at Hog's Breath, too. Our traditional first nite meal now. Also enjoyed Turtle Kraal's for dinner one nite thanks, this forum turned us onto that place, had amazing blackened wahoo with lobster cream sauce. If you go there and they offer you fish with this sauce, order it. Bliss. Skip the seafood enchilada unless you can eat like a linebacker. Enough about the food. You will walk it all off and not gain an ounce.

Let's talk bikinis. Bring your prettiest one and go to Bahia Honda for the day. Drive to the northern beach there. Walk past all the people, around a corner, past a little seaweed, and you will find yourselves alone probably, as I did, on a turquoise hued beach fit for a goddess. My husband flats-fished while I soaked in the amazing water. This is, no exaggeration, the prettiest beach i've ever seen. It's that special. Do not miss it. It was so amazing, we went back a second afternoon. What a luxury! This beach was closed the last time we visited Bahia Honda, which was right after Wilma hit. Close your eyes, feel the sun, listen to the water and tell yourself it is good indeed to be here with someone you love. If you do not feel that Cindy Crawford has nothing on your life at this point, you have brought the wrong bikini or you are having a failure of imagination. BTW, we saw but did not catch bonefish that day up at that point. They were too blissed out to be hungry, I guess.

Other great memories of the trip: Saw my first Key west sunrise, on the water, bc I dragged myself out of bed at 5 am to go flats fishing with my husband. So beautiful. We were about 30 minutes out of key west, in this tiny boat, with schools of tarpon around us (smart fish, they did not want the lures), and the beautiful array of blues and peaches lighting up the sky. Soulful. As someone recently said on this forum, I think I am getting the hang of this.

We danced, danced some more, and met two other couples on their honeymoon and first anniversary, respectively. had a blast with them, closed down a bar with one of the couples...left by ourselves at 4am, decided our 13th year of marriage suits us quite nicely.

Thank you to everyone who waited on us, mixed me wonderful drinks, kept my room spotless, cooked me amazing grilled fish sandwiches, and especially, those who took time to chat with us at the bars. Thank you to the local guys who told me I looked pretty in the most laid-back manner I have ever heard. Thanks for sharing your paradise with us. We'd move in a minute. Will we someday? If Key West has taught me anything, it's that you can surprise yourself every day and night. Keep the rum on hand. We'll be back soon.

Thanks, all. I will enjoy your stories until we return. Thoroughly enjoy them.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Largo
Largo
Florida
Key West Garden Club
Historic Sites, Gardens, Scenic Walking Areas
Heritage House Museum
Historic Sites, History Museums, Gardens
Audubon House & Tropical Gardens
Historic Sites, Gardens, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Memorial Sculpture Garden
Monuments & Statues, Gardens
Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

That guy on the bicycle is named Robert Albury. He not only has a great blues voice, but the sweetest singing voice I have ever heard. I was there that night and walked over and shook Robert's hand as he was getting on his bicycle to leave.

Robert sings at several venues in town, but to me, he will always be the "singing bicycle dude". As he rides around Old Town, he sings, loudly! He's awesome!

Glad you had a great time in Key West. Come back soon.

We like the place too.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing your awesome time with the board.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
848 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

Great trip report! My wife and I now make Bahia Honda part of every trip to KW. I'll search for that piece of beach you mentioned next trip.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

What a nice story! So glad you went home with great memories. Stick around here so you can give fresh advice, if you wouldn't mind!

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

What a wonderful post! I love the fact you saw a Key West sunrise. They are beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to tell the board about your great trip!

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

What a wonderful trip report. My mouth watered, my body tingled. Boy, you really do get it, and know how to put it into words! Thank you so much!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,890 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

What a great trip report. You can feel how much fun you had in reading the words you have written.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

Yours is my favorite trip report! Hopefully I can follow in your footsteps with mine (which, hopefully, will require LOTS of censorship).

Steve in Houston

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: thanks, key west forum + trip report

Wow, what more can I say. Great report.