We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duval Beach Club???

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Duval Beach Club???

Read on a separate email that the Duval Beach club was sold. Anyone know who bought it or what's going on with it?

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duval Beach Club???

It looks the same, except now it's called Southernmost Beach Cafe.

Haven't eaten there since the change.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duval Beach Club???

I was wondering if Southernmost had bought it. Thanks.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duval Beach Club???

Yes, the Southernmost bought it.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duval Beach Club???

I hope they make some changes to it. It could stand some improvement.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duval Beach Club???

I bet they do. Southernmost properties are all first rate.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Duval Beach Club???

ANYTHING would be an improvement. If it's true, it is a very good thing.

Although I have met Fred Tillman, a nice guy, who owned the Duval Beach Club and also owns Kelly's, as a restauranteur, he ranks right up there with the management of Key West Planet Hollywood and Key West Hooters. (Both went belly-up)

In spite of what you may read here, the food and service at both Kellys and Duval Beach Club is about the same level as McDonalds.

Sorry, that may be an insult to McDonalds.

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duval Beach Club???

I'm still trying to figure some things out about that location which is as I understand right at the southern end of Duval. I'm still looking fwd to first visit to KW in Nov.

This beach is a private club? The Southernmost property abuts it and now evidently may own it as a contiguous property with the Southernmost House and also a hotel? Or is this a restuarant that abuts a public beach?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Duval Beach Club???

It is a restaurant on a beach. They rent beach chairs for $5, but to my knowledge the beach itself is free??? Correct me if I am wrong anyone :)

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duval Beach Club???

Duval Beach Club is a bar and restaurant at the Atlantic end of Duval Street. Southernmost owns several hotels and B&B's nearby, including the Southernmost Hotel, Southernmost at the Beach, the Dewey, and Le Mer guesthouses. These are all very nice properties IMHO.

They also recently bought the Atlantic Shores resort and are in the process of demolishing it in order to expand their beach hotel. As CBK said, the DBC was poorly managed, and it could be very good place with the right management in place. The same goes for Kelly's. There is absolutely no reason that it shouldn't be a first rate restaurant. It has location and a nice historic property.

Key west, FL
Level Contributor
458 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duval Beach Club???

It is my understanding that Fred was leasing the restaurant from the southernmost, and they did not renew his lease. I am not sure who is running it now. The southernmost resorts have some sort of lease with the city. (Beach use for weddings etc)

The beach is a public beach, and has always been a public beach. It is free to use the beach, but they charge for lounge chairs. The restaurant and the Southernmost resorts would like you to think that it is private, but it is not and there is nothing to stop anyone taking their own beach chairs and going to the beach there.