We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic Key West Sea Port

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Historic Key West Sea Port

Going to Key West on a cruise. We are only in port from 8AM until 2PM. I have been before, but have never walked to the Historic Key West Sea Port. Is it worth seeing?? How far is it from the cruise ship dock?? I also want to spend an hour or two at Fort Zachary just relaxing and maybe snorkeling a little around the rocks. Does that sound like a good plan for limited time??

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

Sounds perfect. Totally worth seeing, and you can have some drinsk and food while there!! The Seaport (or Bight) is a short 3-4 block walk from Mallory Square, where you will dock. I would grab a cab to and from Fort Zach to save time.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

Sounds good but bring shoes to wear at Fort Zac. You will need them because it is really rocky. If you really have your heart set on snorkeling I would go out to the reef which you cannot do on your own. There are companies that go out there. The snorkeling at Fort Zac is o.k. but nothing like you will see out at the reef.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

yes, the shoes!!! I made sure we had them when we went to KW last time. Packed everything up to go to the beach....and forgot the darn shoes!!

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

Thank you. Yes I agree that the snorkeling is MUCH better on an excursion, but we are limited to time and will be doing great snorkeling in Cozumel and Belize on the cruise. Key West is our first stop.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

We had fun snorkeling around the rocks at Fort Zach. Nothing spectacular, but saw lots of fish and some spiny lobsters. Good way to kill a couple hours :)

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

If you are doing snorkeling elsewhere then I would suggest skipping Fort Zac completely and maybe do some more exploring on KW. Climb the Lighthouse, see the Hemmingway Estate, go to Mel Fishers Musuem, take the Conch Tour Train or Trolley, see the Butterfly Conservatory, go to the Aqaurium - just to name a few things you could do.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

I agree with Arnie, unless you really are set on lounging around the beach for a bit. There is so much else to see and do!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,159 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

There is an alternative to trying to fit in a beach when only spending seveal hours in Key West - Dante's, pretty much at the end of the historic seaport...

You can walk over there with your bathing suit and as long as you buy a drink you can use the pool and the Tiki bar. It's on the other side of the Half Shell Raw bar, about 10 minutes from the Docks.

Not a bad place to spend an afternoon.. I've been by there in the afternoon and it never looks crowded, and people have said that the food is good. Take a look-see:

http://pjk.smugmug.com/photos/159448628-L.jpg

http://pjk.smugmug.com/photos/159448634-L.jpg

Pjk

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

I just want you to be clear as to what the "Historic Seaport is", it's not a recreation of what Key West used to be like, in fact, there's not much historic stuff there at all.

There is the Schooner Western Union, which holds significant historical value to Key West. Other than that it's shops, restaurants and bars.

Don't think it's not awesome, because it is. I just didn't want you to think you were going to some real "historical" place. You could do what some other posters have recommended if you want some real history (Hemingway house, etc)

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Historic Key West Sea Port

This question is pretty common. I'm in the proccess of writing up and insider's page on 'Key West for Cruise Ships Passengers' Once done, I'll post the link and invite others to modify it.