We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Flights to Key West

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,196 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Flights to Key West

Two weeks ago I booked a flight on Delta from Newark to Key West for May '08 which came to $405.61 total for the round trip. Continental was almost $100.00 more. I generally jump on a flight which is about $400.00 or less and which has convenient departure and arrival times. Now this flight is about $15.00 more and with what I've been hearing about the price of crude oil it doesn't seem likely to me that airfare will come down.

This is a big generalization or guess or what have you, but if you are planning on flying into Key West in the next six months or so, you might want to book now and relax.

BTW I'm flying into that great state of Georgia, Atlanta, for what I think may be the first time ever.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
95 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
108 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
394 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
487 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

~~ I am really close to scheduling our next trip and hope I don't

delay too long. Its important to find the right trip with the

most convenient departure and arrival times. Although-- it

has not always gone this way. Especially the last KW --

trip. OMG..what an adventure to and from!! Alas- I am

not deterred and will be back. The sooner the better!!

Now I gotta go check the options.

~~Cheers~~

^-^

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

PJK, the Delta flight is a good way to get there. They operate a fairly comfortable regional jet from ATL to EYW, and since the runway is so short, the landing is a bit interesting. It is a firm touchdown followed by maximum breaking. One passenger noted that all jet landings into EYW are on your knees. LOL

Transiting ATL is not so bad. there is an underground train that connects the 6 concourses of gates. Delta operates out of the Terminal gates, and concourses A&B. Delta Connection (which flies to EWY) operates from concourses C&D. It's a busy airport to be sure, but I find it much more manageable than most other major hubs.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,196 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

Thanks!

There's a little over an hour for the flight to Key West so hopefully I'll be able to find a drinker two. The times for the Delta flights are much more convenient than Conti - approx 10:00 a.m. departure from Newark and gets into Key West at 3:30.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
South Hadley...
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

Simkeith,

I am flying into ATL on Delta to KW and only have 55 min. between flights.Is that enough time to go between concourses?I don't believe I have ever been to ATL before but I know it's a large airport.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

55 minutes is sufficient time to connect, provided that the originating flight is on time. You won't have time for a leisurely meal, but you should be ok. Like I said, for a very busy airport, ATL is very easy to navigate. It might help to check out their website ahead of time.

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/

South Hadley...
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

Thanks for the website I will check it out.Hopefully we won't have an early snowstorm to mess things up.We are going the 2nd week of Dec.

Dracut...
Level Contributor
79 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

You may want to carry your luggage with that short layover. You can gate check for regional jets. With any delays getting into ATL, the risk of the luggage missing the connection is greater than you missing the flight.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

One more thing about flying on airlines that operate jets into EYW. These flights are weight restricted due to the 5000 foot long runway. This means that the airlines restrict you to one checked bag and one carry-on. If you check more, it may or may not travel with you and you will get it on a later flight.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

Glad I booked last July! I got a r/t out of LAX for just a smidge over $600 (though at the time I was wailing and gnashing my teeth at the cost. I did do better in August when I snapped up a $297 r/t LAX-HNL, though)

I fly into Ft. L and pick up a small Continental plane from there (I know, the rosary bead special!) Going home, I fly out of Ft. Myers and transit via Atlanta. Hartsfield is a big, well run airport, so I am not concerned. I flew through there to Montauk (don't ask!) awhile back and connected well. Love that atrium in the concourse. Hoping to get some grits at the cafe there, they're good!

As airports go, DFW has to be the biggest city to navigate (imvho). Megalopolis. You cannot walk between terminals (something I try to do to shake off the effects of the flight), the distances are too vast. Two Thanksgivings ago, I was flying home when tornado watches had closed down all but two runways. We were sat there and the pilot said it'd be several hours to even get a takeoff slot. So I dozed off. Half an hour later, no kidding here, we are suddenly #2 for takeoff. The weather had cleared just like that. So far, so good. Then the poor pilot comes back on (he sounded soooo at the end of his rope by now) and said, "Folks, there's a delay. The incoming jet hit a coyote...."

Free drinks for everyone folowed! Honest! (Except the crew, I hope!)

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Flights to Key West

Kittygal...yes DFW is huge and it just got bigger with a new terminal in the last year. They have a great new tram to take you from terminal to terminal though. It has to be big as there are so many connecting flights through there since Dallas is a central US location.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas