We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Today's Events: Tuesday FF

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Today's Events: Tuesday FF

Tuesday, October 23

PARTY IN PLAID

Swing into Fantasy Fest(R)at legendary landmark Capt. Tony's Saloon! www.capttonyssaloon.com; Explore your fantasies in naughty or nice plaid attire. Meet good friends, enjoy live music and rum specials all night long; Capt. Tony's Saloon; 9 pm; FREE

1st ANNUAL VOODOO LUAU at GUY HARVEY'S ISLAND GRILL

Put on your coconut bikinis, grass skirts and party to the beat of this voodoo luau. This costume party will be the place to be with bongo music, a Junkanoo band, limbo contest and themed voodoo cocktails. Spice up your night with this mystical soiree; Guy Harvey's Island Grill; 511 Greene St.; 305-295-0019; www.guyharveysislandgrill.net; Drink Specials; 9 pm; FREE

FINNEGAN'S WAKE GREEN PARTY

Come celebrate the ultimate Irish Green Party at Finnegan's Wake! Live Irish Music with Ted Garber. Glow sticks with 100% of the sales to Charity. Irish Drink Specials all night long! Wear your green and receive NO COVER; 8 PM; 320 Grinnell St.; 305-293-0222; www.keywestirish.com

REDDY ICE FANTASY FAÇADE ™ COMPETITION

Festively decorated homes and businesses compete for cold cash! To enter, call 305-296-5334

FREE OFFICIAL FANTASY FEST POSTER SIGNING PARTY

Meet the award-winning artist of this year's poster. Crowne Plaza La Concha Hotel; 5 pm; posters for sale.

25th ANNUAL HEADDRESS BALL

A gala where headdresses are the stars of the show; Prizes for Best Headdress: (costumes not judged) $1,000 first; $300 second; $200 third; Southernmost Hotel at Duval St. and South St.; 8pm; General Admission $30;Tables VIP for 4-$300 or for 4- $250; WWW.KEYSTIX.COM or 305-296-1520

Mentioned in this post
Fantasy Fest
Fantasy Fest
53 Reviews
Key West, FL
Capt. Tony's Saloon
Capt. Tony's Saloon
936 Reviews
Key West, FL
Crowne Plaza Key West La Concha
Crowne Plaza Key West La...
1,198 Reviews
Key West, FL
Southernmost Beach Resort
Southernmost Beach Resort
6,189 Reviews
Key West, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
768 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
95 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
109 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
394 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

While not exactly on your topic, KWT, I do have a question relevant to those of us packing up to come down over the next couple of days.

It's been too long ago for me to remember, will it be noticeably humid (Houston, New Orleans) or does the breeze off the water keep you from feeling muggy?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Key West
Level Contributor
448 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

It really depends on the day. It's still pretty humid during the day, but we're starting to get some nice breezes.

Key West
Level Contributor
448 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

Just noticed you're from NH - it will definitely feel humid to you. Although, as I said, we're starting to get some breezes coming through.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

casual, it's hard for me to answer you because (A) I'm originally from DC, built on a swamp, so THAT was humid to me; and (B) I've been here for a very, very long time so I'm quite comfortable in this weather.

It will feel more humid than where you are now. Pack cotton and your MOST comfortable shoes. I've been living quite comfortably in shorts and golf shirts for years here. When it rains I have a foul weather outfit but immediately sweat in it, even with wind.

A solar powered fan driven pith helmet is available as well. lol

On really bad days, there is always the wet towel around the neck.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

Thanks, folks.

Will those same shorts and golf shirts get me into a nice restaurant on Sunday night?........i.e., Michael's, Alice's, Pisces or even the much maligned Louie's?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,959 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

Casual,

A golf shirt is dressed up!! :>)

You should be fine for Sunday night.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

Golf shirt and clean slacks or shorts is considered Key West formal. The only time a dress shirt and tie are worn is to say "I do" or "I plead not guilty, your honor".

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

Rule of thumb is no wife beaters or tanks on men. A shirt with a collar with shorts will get you in anywhere.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

casual, not to put too fine a point on it, but.....

Pique is the only way to go here. Old Izods are pique, as opposed to Polo, combed, that doesn't breathe nearly as much. You can see tiny holes in pique and can't with combed. I have a closet full of combed shirts that will make me sweat that I don't wear, the pique's win every time.

Just a thought.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Today's Events: Tuesday FF

KWT, I know exactly what you mean by the pique weave (or whatever). Thanks for that tip.......I've got several.

SK, thanks for the laugh.......I am not planning on either occasion taking place while I'm down there.

Arnie, the only place in New England where wifebeaters can still be purchased is called Revere.....which is also the only place where women still wear "big hair". Because I know that women with big hair are capable of beating me up if they choose to, I choose not to shop there. Nonetheless, I'll be sure to have a collared shirt for dining.