We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Celebration Question

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Celebration Question

We will be in KW next week and the couple we are going with have never been so we want to do the Sunset Celebration our first night and also I have to see the Cat Man and I understand from his website that he will be back from vacation then.

My question is where is the best place to get a drink, maybe some munchies and see the sunset from the Square? I know we want to mingle and see the street performers but it would be nice to sit and have a great cocktail while watching the red/orange ball drop. What about the Roof Top Cafe? I saw a picture of the perfect place but I dont know the name, it was right there on the square and it had bright colored tables and umbrellas, right beside the water? Was I dreaming?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Roof Top Cafe
Roof Top Cafe
1,525 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

Logisitics.. Roof Top is at the opposite end from where the Cat Man performs. It's also above the fray so to speak. Wander Mallory and the Westin waterrfront during the celebration and you can graze on a variety of munchies and drinks.

WI
Level Contributor
252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

There is a place that sort of fits your description,,, right near the water, colorful tables, etc. I can't think of the name, but it doesn't have table service. It does have a sort of elevated deck for the seating area. There is walk-up counter inside to order snacks/sandwiches. And I believe the only alcoholic beverages may be beer, wine, wine coolers.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

The Ocean Key House has a great big pier with tables and chairs; the Westin, right at the performers' location, has a second story bar with tables. Both are outstanding viewing locations, as is the Top at the LaConcha Hotel.

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

Go to the Westin and grab a cocktail and walk upstairs to their sunset deck. Sometimes there's a band playing up there too. The area overlooks the cat guy

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

Sounds like you are describing the Pier at Ocean Key Resort. Its a great place to hang out.

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

oceankey.com/oceankey_dining_sunsetpier.aspx

Look in there a\nd see if that what you are thinking of.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
372 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

Right, Bob L. Unless there is a special event, the Cat Man will be in front of the Westin and you can get a great view from their balcony bar. Go early and get the front row view, not a table. If the Reggae band is there, you are in for a real treat!

If Dominique and his flying house cats are not right out front, he will be around the corner and you can take your drinks and sit on the ground and watch, lots of room there.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,004 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

You can sit at the smaller bar at El Meson de pepe and watch a sunset while sipping a mojito...

pjk.smugmug.com/photos/177517295-M-1.jpg

But some of the prettiest sunsets or the effects thereof are on the south side...

pjk.smugmug.com/photos/177517325-M-1.jpg

Pjk

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

"You can sit at the smaller bar at El Meson de pepe and watch a sunset while sipping a mojito..."

no, no, no --- great mohitos, horrible bar stools. (metal)

of course the ocean key pier ones aren't much better.

have not tried the westin's. can you see the sunset from the hot tin roof bar?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,004 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset Celebration Question

Just a small trivia question...

Thos barstools at El Meson de Pepe all have hand-painted numbers on them. Why?

Pjk