We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
what to do

Hi all,

just stumbled onto this forum and it's great! My husband and I are staying in Key West for 5 days at the end of January, what are the must see and dos for Key West, we have never been and are travelling from Ireland so we really want to make the most of our trip. I beleive there is a sailing regatta there at the time, will it be terribly busy and would we need to book trips etc now?

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do

Hey Colleen. The sail regatta brings a lot of people to town, but they won't be in competition with you guys for activities. They race all day, then head over to the hospitality tent...and then off to Schooner Warf and/or off to the restaurants for dinner.

Regardless, I say it's ALWAYS BEST to book your activities in advance. And for the water sport activities, I advise to book for the FIRST dates of your trip, and then if the weather turns for the worse, you can always push the trip back to another day.

I have seen a lot of people get to town, enjoy 4 days of killer weather...and then on the 5th and final day (the day they planned to take a water sport activity) the wind picks up, the temp drops and they are kicking themselves for not getting on the water sooner.

The Hemingway house/Truman Little White house are my favorite of the museum tours...and I was pleasantly surprised with Pirate Soul (Pat Croce’s pirate museum over on Front Street). My Mom's favorite is the Butterfly Conservatory (1316 Duval).

My favorite water sports would have to be a trip to the Dry Tortugas (a great idea for anyone with more than a couple days on the island) a sail on the Danger(small crowd, personable crew), and, being a fisherman I love to take The Tortuga Party Boat (4 hr bottom fishing trip) on the days that I just want to wet a line and not spend a lot of money.

Whatever you choose...have fun...enjoy your stay.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,796 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do

Just in case you like to go out for breakfast, especially eggs benedict...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-c3693/Key-West…

Just in case you liike happy hour...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-c3709/Key-West…

And hjust in case you want to get ut onto the water...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-c3631/Key-West…

Pjk

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do

My advice is to take the Conch Tour Train soon after your arrival, It'll help familiarize you with the island, and some of it's fascinating history, plus it's a fun and relaxing way to learn some interesting stuff!

Another thing I always have to see is the aquarium, I just love it, I know it's not for everyone, but if you like marine life......which brings me to another suggestion...make time for a snorkel trip while your there!!!

4. Re: what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 12:18