We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to propose

wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to propose

hi folks,

My girlfriend and I will be visiting the keys in March, and I'd like to propose.

We'd like to spend the day on a beach and I'd like to propse around sunset. Where would be a relatively private spot, yet close to a hotel/resort?

any info is appreciated,

Nikolai

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
72 reviews
from US$145.00*
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
59 reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to propose

The beaches will be busy that time of year but Fort Zach will be a great choice.

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to propose

Congratulations. I'm always amazed that Fort Zach, right on the wall of the Fort, is an incredible view of the sunset, the boats, and islands...but it's always empty when we go there. One of the best views on the island and very private.

Good luck...

Cheektowaga, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to propose

I did mine over at Sunset Key. The boat ride over made it even more romantic. But you would not have a great sunset view from the restaraunt there. Although they do have tables on the beach which is what attracted me there in teh first place.

Ft Zach R2 was our wedding location. Perfect.

The only problem with Zach is they like to have moving out 5 minutes after sunset.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to propose

how about the beach of the revamped Reach Resort? got the beach, the hotel, the champagne, etc.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to propose

Or maybe the Casa, which is a much more spectacular building.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,620 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to propose

I know you said "the Keys" are you staying in Key West or elsewhere in the Keys?

A beautiful spot is the waterfront area in front of Morada Bay & Pierre's in Islamorada. Cheeca Lodge is across the street. Not a day at the beach, but a great spot if you want to go to dinner or just be romantic.

Sombrero Beach in Marathon is beautiful. Had a guy ask me to "hide" on the beach and take pictures of him and his girlfriend when he proposed. Felt like I was spying, but it turned out great. They were snorkeling, he stuck the ring in a cool shell, she picked up the shell out of the water and found the ring. Cocoplum beach is very private and chances are you would have most of the day to yourselves. Marathon, Grassy Key and Key Colony resorts are all close by.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to propose

One thing to consider would be a private charter on boat at sunset. You can propose and have dinner.

You can't miss a great sunset view out on the water, unless mother nature is being difficult!

Key west, FL
Level Contributor
458 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to propose

Fort Zach is a lovely spot at sunset. Also as mentioned dinner at Latitudes on Sunset Key. The beach location for dinner and the boat ride over make for a special evening.

Also the butterfly conservatory. It has a little Gazeebo inside, perfect for dropping down on one knee. It is a lovely tranquil setting. Not open at sunset though.

Whatever place you choose I am sure it will be memorable and special to both of you forever. Good luck

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to propose

I proposed at Fort Zach, on the rocks, at Sunset. It was magical.

Better hope she doesn’t read Tripadvisor.

I have witnessed a number of proposals at my work, and one enterprising young man was thoughtful enough to have me waiting off to the side to capture the entire "down on one knee" with his digital camera.

Good luck brother!

Al

wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: where to propose

thanks for all of the suggestions!

Is there any privacy to be had on Bahia Honda during the day?

Get answers to your questions about Key West