We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugarloaf Key

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sugarloaf Key

Is anyone familiar with accommodations on Sugarloaf Key? And is it close enough to Keywest to drive several times a day?

My husband and I are planning a trip with 5 "twenty somethings" and one toddler.

Between the seven adults we'll no doubt be back and forth a lot!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,641 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugarloaf Key

You can do it - Drive back and forth several times a day. I wouldn't mind driving it once a day, but SEVERAL times per day?

Not my idea of a good time.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugarloaf Key

There is a motel called Sugar Loaf Lodge at MM 17.

25 min. drive to KW.

It's an OK place and for the price ( not much cheaper than KW ) I think you would be happier in KW.

If the "twenty somethings" go out partying it would be better ( and safer )if they could walk home.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugarloaf Key

Can I ask why Sugarloaf? There is not much there and if you are going to be that close to Key West why not just stay in Key West? Its about a 15 - 20 minute drive depending on the traffic and time of year.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugarloaf Key

We've been looking at a place in particular by the name of Sea Vista Estates. It looks big enough and private enough and according to the web site and reviews appears to be rather nice.

Personally, I'd love to stay in Keywest but my husband thinks the boys would have a good time fishing off the pier and kayaking.

Another concern would be finding a place big enough in Keywest that would comfortably accomodate 7 adults and one baby, also allowing for a bit of privacy for all parties involved.

This is my dream vacation and my 50th b-day bash (oh my...did I really just admit to turning 50??)I can't wait to share Keywest with my three sons and their signicant others. I want them to experience the real Keywest but unfortunately my husband thinks they would prefer the private beach.

Any info on Sea Vista or other large party accommodations would be appreciated.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sugarloaf Key

Well first thing first - Happy Birthday! Now back to business - The Estate does look really nice! I guess my first concern is how many cars will you have between all of you? There are not many things within walking distance if someone is out with the car all day. I am assuming you will be doing a lot of the eating at the estate so driving back and forth for meals shouldn't be too much of a problem but I am sure you will end up going to Key West for a few of those. With such a large group its going to be hard to please everyone so I would still try to find something in KW where there is so much more to see and do. There are many rental companies but I have always liked http://www.vacationhomesofkeywest.com/ and they have many places that would fit all of you. They may not be on a beach but still nice.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sugarloaf Key

I think you'll be bored and isolated up there. There's not much of anything to do in Sugarloaf, lots of retireds.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sugarloaf Key

It depends on what you want. If you want nonstop action, Key West is best. If you want a quiet, private place with easy access to beach, fishing and the water at your own pace, then the place you picked looks great. My family vacations every year in Sandbridge Virginia, about 30 minutes from the action in Va. Beach. By day 2 I'm out of my mind bored, but the other 10-15 people with us like sitting on the beach and fishing all day. If you have plenty of cars so people can get out when they want, I think the place on Sugarloaf looks incredible. Key West isn't that far.

But...this is only my opinion and I don't get a vote because it's your vacation and not mine. Unless I'm invited? (hint, hint)

Have a blast!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sugarloaf Key

If you decide to stay in Key West, consider http://www.roselanevillas.com/ It should work well for the group dynamics you described and you can walk to everything.

9. Re: Sugarloaf Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:20