We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Put-In-Bay Day?

mamapj
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
What is Put-In-Bay Day?

Is that is silly question -- I've seen it referred to several times, and now i'm curious ...

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Put-In-Bay Day?

I am not exactly sure but this is what I know. Put-in-Bay is a community on an island off of Sandusky, Ohio which you can only reach by ferry. I visited there last summer and it is like a mini Key West. During the summer Put-in-Bay has there Key West Days, which is basically just an excuse for drinking and partying with music and etc. I assume it is much the same in Key West for Put in Bay days. My guess is a lot of the people that go to Put in Bay during the summer, show up in Key West during the winter.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
258 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Put-In-Bay Day?

As a visitor of both places, I have never heard of "Put-in Bay" day in KW, I would also like to know what it is.

I have also never heard of KW day in "Put-in-Bay."

I did talk to someone on this forum that visits both places, as do we, but PIB has nothing on Key West!

Does anyone have any info on either of these days?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Put-In-Bay Day?

Its technically a 3 day event at sloppy joes where artists who mainly play at Put-in-Bay play at Sloppys and it gets alot of us Ohioans (where put in bay is) to come down collectively. This is the first year it is "multiple" days. But to be honest, Saturday the 16th is the real day as its the full lineup including Pete and Wayne, which you cannot miss.

As the previous poster mentioned... Put-In-Bay is a island in Lake Erie. It has about 5 main bars, including the longest bar in the world, a winery and other various attractions. Its a different beast then key west in its pure party, not so much laid back.

Whats good about it to is that a trademark of put-in-bay are the buckets of beer served at the roundhouse. Aptly named because the bar is one big round building and so is the bar. The buckets run $30.00 ($25 for refill) and you its a good amount of beer. I know for the first PIB days four years ago sloppys had the same buckets. I hope that continues because if you have a few folks with you, there isn't a better beer value on Key West! Also, when you finish the buckets, they make swell hats!

Bottom line is alot of great people come down to get out of the cold and chill. Many of us have bene numerous times to the keys so its not like a bunch of newbies or spring breakers. Average age is probably well over 30 and we look to have a good time and hang with the conchs for a bit.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Put-In-Bay Day?

I do believe this summer is Put in Bay's first Key West days. It is the next to last weekend in August (22-23 I think) - the weekend before Labor Day weekend.

I had looked into Put in Bay as perhaps a close family vacation destination. I scratched it immediately.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Put-In-Bay Day?

They've done Key West Days at PIB for at least the past 3 years. It really isn't anything different then normal. The exception being that Pete and Wayne are there doing their summer tour. So it's a bit of a taste of Key West. Other then that, nothing special is really done.

But any weekend at PIB is a great one. Especially if you've never been. More then enough to keep you occupied for a long weekend.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Put-In-Bay Day?

Jaywepp has the concept down pat. For those Put-in-Bay regulars, Mad Dog Adams and Ray Fogg join Pat Dailey on stage for shows on Saturday for a true Put-in-Bay feel. I'll be BS'ing with Pat starting Thursday night, but I'll have to watch all the bucket heads on Sloppy's web cam for the 16th. Watched the first PIB Day a couple of years ago and it was a blast. Mad Dog could barely stand when Dailey dragged him back on stage for part of his set.

Gonna have a GOOD TIME!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Put-In-Bay Day?

So true about Mike that day! We were literally front row center for all the shows and know Mike a little bit... He was totally ripped=)

I still remmeber how he spoke about it being a dream come true to play with Pat. Pat, Mike, Pete and Wayne, Ray and Duff are all really great and fun guys. Never act like some star playing for the peons.

God I can't wait for Key West! Gonna be a special trip

8. Re: What is Put-In-Bay Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 06:20