We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 2/10-2/20

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 2/10-2/20

Flew into Ft. Lauderdale rented a car for the drive down. We hit bad t-storms throughout the Keys, but we realize that southern Fl.needs the rain.

First stop Mangrove Mammas for a late lunch. Even with the rain we found a dry spot "outside". I had the panko encrusted snapper on a bed of greens, my husband had the catch of the day, Mahi, blackened. Couple of vodka & tonics to wash away the roa d dust,the rain didn't wash away all the dust;) great food, always a favorite stop for us.Staring to feel at home again.

My husband had his winter cold, so we laid around the pool for a day and a half trying to sweat it out, it was wonderful, just relaxing.

Had to go check on Capt. Runaground, they are still there, thank God. We were the only two in the place, we had just missed the lunch rush the bartender/waitress told us. Had a couple of coronas, the cook took us through the kichen/Galley(?) out on the back of the boat to show us a hugh manatee. We had seen one here before a couple years back, but not this close up.It was cool.

We spent a lot of time down at the Waterfront, it seems to call our names. SWB was packed two different times that we went through. didn't want to fight the crowds, it was Presendents Day Weekend, so we would find another stool to rest upon.

Conch Republic for lunch one day, Mojito(3?) and Spinich Salad with Grilled Shrimp for me, Grilled Mahi for my husband. Went back several times for drinks and people watching.

Tower bar one afternoon Happy hour. We had 2 Screwdrivers six bucks, still was trying to get rid of that winter cold, not a better place to do it. 2 screwdrivers-6 bucks times 3 or 4:)

BO's, fist trip was packed like SWB, a line out the door, people everywhere. Walked up to Half Shell (through Turtle Kraals for one), had Oysters on the Half, Happy Hour prices were good, so were the Oysters.

BO's second trip, not as busy, we made sure to go at an off time. Had the fish and chips, both of us. It was very good, but we were not use to the fried fish, so next time grilled. They did offer Grouper for $2 more, that was something we will try the next time.

Went to Dantes for drinks, only had one. Busy, busy. We did talk to a bartender we knew, but again it was busy.

Walked up Duval, to see what's new and different.

Had a couple of drinks at Fat Tuesdays. A group of college kids in there having a ball, free entertainment for us!

Capt. Tony's same as always. I had a rum punch, with a souvineer cub. Couple of guys singing with a guitar, they were pretty good.

Snuck across the street to buy a conch shell ring at Local Color, it was hard to decide but I chose one. Too many to choose from at the big store by Turtle Kraals.

I am sure that I have left out several things, but we had a great time. This was our shortest time in KW, and it was definatly not long enough. I will retire in about a year, my husband retired in Nov. I think in a while we may be spending a couple months a year there. I'm still not sure that will be enough.

Can't wait to be back! Donna

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 2/10-2/20

Wow nice happy report, thanks for posting.

PJ

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 2/10-2/20

Glad you had a nice time. Thanks for taking the time to post about it.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 2/10-2/20

Donna, come back soon!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 2/10-2/20

Nice review.....thanks for posting.....

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 2/10-2/20

I knew I'd forget, ALL THE NICE LOCALS!!! Everywhere we went, smiles for everyone.

Also checked in at Shanna Key Pub. Great locals place.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
372 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 2/10-2/20

Sounds fantastic, a little of this a little of that and a lot of nothing, perfect!

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 2/10-2/20

But what did you think of T n T? Do tell.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 2/10-2/20

I think I'll try the place on the next trip so I can post a NEW review. You guys do make me laugh!!

9. Re: Trip Report 2/10-2/20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 02:16