We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you go....???

TO
Level Contributor
900 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Would you go....???

This is the scenario: family of four (2 well-travelled kids: 7 and 12) staying in Sarasota area for a month, before driving back to the North. So, at the end of our month's stay, to delay my incremental depression that strikes with each latitudinal step north, I thought that we should drive south from Sarasota, and visit Key West for 2 days, before turning back around for the 26 hour drive.

We are not divers, snorkellers or sport fishermen. SO, is it worthwhile, in your opinion, to visit for such a short period of time?

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you go....???

Simply yes.

Ton's of folks visit KW just for the day. 2 days would be better then the 5 or so hrs the cruise people get.

2. Re: Would you go....???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2008, 14:55
NJ
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you go....???

Yes, go! There is plenty to do, and no, I am NOT an alcoholic. That was a terrible thing to say. Restaurants, shopping, Mallory Square, sunset, museums, Hemmingway House, butterfly conservatory, aquarium... The list goes on!!!

4. Re: Would you go....???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2008, 15:51
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you go....???

sunngod...i'm so glad you wouldn't do it

Benton, Arkansas
Level Contributor
617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you go....???

HUH? There is so much more to Key West than Duval Street and the bars! Don't listen to that nonsense! Key West is not some haven for alcoholics! There are museums and art galleries (even ON Duval) and wonderful water sports and great architecture... so much more than that poster is giving it credit for.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you go....???

comparing Key West to Daytona and Orlando? are you kidding? wow that is more than a stretch.

it would be a long a$$ drive though from Sarasota. maybe the ferry from Fort Myers would be the way to go.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you go....???

Sit back folks, this is gonna be fun!

Key West
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you go....???

This might not get a very positive response frm the locals either, but...

A 26 hour drive with the family is a bit much, even if the kids are well travelled.

If you were doing it in the middle of your month long stay I would say absolutely do it, but considering the drive ahead of you, and really not having much of a rest time after the seven hour drive, to run around for a bit then burn another 26 on the road, I would relax my last couple of days and plan another trip for KW in the very near future :)

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you go....???

Although I agree with Daze about it being the end of your trip would not be the "Ideal" time to visit KW, with the long trip ahead, I would still do it. If you've never been to KW, do it. That being said, I also agree with who ever said that it would be best to come down during your last month. That would also give you the otion to....uh....stay a few more days if you liked. I've never heard ANYONE say..."yeah you know..we saw everything there was to see in KW in 2 days. We pretty much did it all". Most people start planning their next trip to KW the last day they are there.

Go & Do