We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone stayed at Marrero's Rm #18 or 19

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Anyone stayed at Marrero's Rm #18 or 19

We got lucky and booked a room at Marrero's due to a cancellation for the first weekend of May. Just wondering if anyone has stayed in rm #18 or 19. Are these rooms at the front of the house? Anyone had any ghost encounters? I don't know if I really believe in that kind of stuff, but it is kind of fun to hear about. Any info would be great. Thank you to everyone. This forum is great!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone stayed at Marrero's Rm #18 or 19

I've stayed in Room 19 for the past two years. It's an ok room. On the second floor, faces the side (towards Duval). The furniture is old, real antiques, I'd guess so. Comfortable bed. Small bathroom. Small balcony. The balcony next door is close, only a couple feet between them.

No sign of ghosts. My only complaint with the place is that the clothing optional pool area was crowded and there were no chairs every time I wanted to lounge for an hour or two. I suspect, although I don't know this, that people who want to lounge nude, spend more time around the pool than the average tourist. Since there aren't that many clothing optional pool area in Key West, it gets crowded. Another factor may be that our past two visits have been the weekend of the Parrothead convention.

Ok continental breakfast. There's a happy hour, but in three visits, we've never managed to be around at that time of day. Enjoy your stay, we'll try and stay there again for our next visit.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone stayed at Marrero's Rm #18 or 19

Both are nice rooms, and open to the veranda. We just returned from 5 days there. We really enjoy the place. Happy hour is 5:30 to 7:00 pm. Beer, wine, and "Cocktails without fancy names" as host John says. Nice time to meet the other guests. We were there over Easter weekend, the mansion was at full occupancy and the pool was never crowded. Just 1/2 block off of Duval.......so convenient ......

West Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone stayed at Marrero's Rm #18 or 19

We LOVE Marreros and have been several times in the past five years ever since discovering it (also stay at Pilot House for the C/O pool area, which we enjoy, but Pilot House pool is not heated).

At Marreros we stayed in room 18 (the haunted room where the ghost Enriquetta slept) on my 40th birthday and our friends stayed next door in room 17, which was the nursery when Mr. Marrero built the house in the late 1800s. Room 18 was a little creaky from the old wood floors, but we couldn't really feel another presence in the room. Of course we were trashed when we passed out at night (hey, come on, it was a milestone birthday!), so we have no idea if there was a spirit in there or not.

Room 17, however, is great! Two big king beds and a nice big balcony that faces Fleming, and one night we were out there chillin' and the ghost tour came by and we could hear it perfectly. So they speak about the house on the ghost tour, but don't actually tour the inside of the house.

According to the ghost tour, Mr. Marrero was a bigamist, and when he died his real wife from Cuba came to Key West and claimed the house, kicking Enriquetta and the six kids to the streets, where they all died weeks later of typhoid and yellow fever. But before Enriquetta left the house, she said her spirit would always live on in the mansion since it was built specifically for her and the children. So they say her benevolent spirit lives on, checking to make sure everything is OK at night.

They say the chandelier in the foyer sways when there is a bad spirit in the house, but we've never seen it rockin'. My friend tipped it with his hand one time when we were walking down the stairs and caused quite a stir for a moment before we were let in on the joke. Whew!

But enjoy your stay. It's really a friendly place in a great location! I'm gonna be there solo in two weeks and have the loft room under the stairs (only room available). I'm hoping the ghost likes to hide down there!

Cheers!

illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone stayed at Marrero's Rm #18 or 19

We stayed in #18 2 years ago. We don't believe in ghosts but our floor sure was creaking one night. Ask Alisha, she will be glad to inform you of what might go on in that room. We never used the verandah, much too nice sitting at the pool. The pool area was expanded recently for more sitting area. Spent a week there last month hope you have as good a time as we had.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone stayed at Marrero's Rm #18 or 19

Thanks for all of your responses! I can't wait to get down there. Marrero's will definately be something different for a change.

6. Re: Anyone stayed at Marrero's Rm #18 or 19

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 22:19