We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

Based on my map, it runs north to south. (correct me if I'm wrong.) Do locals consider lower to be the north or south?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,409 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

I usually think of it as running north to south but it is actually tilted to the east on the southern side and the west on the northern. Lower Duval refers to the Mallery Docks / Key West Bight side, and I've always used Petronia as a dividing street, mainly because when I started going there was very little to see south of Petronia or maybe Olivia.

Pjk

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

"Lower" to me is the 400 block and below (towards the Pier House). The rowdier blocks where the big bars are. Of course, the 800 block is pretty exciting as well, depending on which way your personal wind blows.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

I've always broken it down to Lower Duval, Middle Duval and Upper Duval - just as we have Lower Keys, Middle Keys and Upper Keys. With about 15 blocks on Duval I break it down as:

Gulf of Mexico to Southard Street (5 blocks): Lower Duval

Southard to Truman Avenue (5 blocks): Middle Duval

Truman Avenue to Atlantic Ocean: Upper Duval

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

Upper Duval isn't quite as commercial.........more relaxed and reminiscent of the 80's - I actually love that end, because most tourist stay up by the bars & Mallory.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,409 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

This is why I'd always walk all the way south on Duval and sit at the old Duval Beach Club bar maybe 2 or 3 times during a vacation and sip a beer. Usually very quite with only a few people there and you can overlook the ocean and the Southernmost House across the street.

Pjk

Georgia
Level Contributor
436 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

So, am I understanding that the lower numbered addresses are more on the wild side than the upper numbered addresses. Would kind of like to be clear on this before we go. Thanks

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

That is correct. The farther you get away from Mallory Square, the quieter Duval becomes. There are interesting places all along Duval, so dont miss any of it, but the atlantic side from Turman has more galleries, a bit more upscale restaurants and shops, and less traffic.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

So we should go UP north to lower Duval and

we should go DOWN south to upper Duval.

I think this is a little funny!!!

Just something to think about!

Georgia
Level Contributor
436 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

I think that was what kept keeping me a little confused. :-)

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exactly what is considered to be "Lower Duval?"

Just one more quirky thing about life in Key West.

I think this started since the lower end of Duval (The North End) is "downtown". It was the center of Key West when the other end of town was not developed and when people go downtown, they are heading toward Mallory Square, even though the direction is North.

You might also notice that the streets actually run Northwest to Southeast. Therefore, you can also be going West on Duval if you are heading toward Mallory square, rather then north. Many old time residents use west and east instead of north and south.

Are you even more confused now!?