We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

SE
Wales
Level Contributor
74 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

We're having 3 nights in KW, then driving to Naples.

How much quicker is the I 75 route?

Will it take us into Miami traffic?

How busy is the tamiami route?

Cheers!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

It's at least a 5-6 hour drive from Key West to Naples on 75 and it is easy to be routed around Miami traffic.

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

Figure it will take you an hour and a half to two hours to cross the state on Alligator Alley (I-75) from Naples and then you will be able to get on the Turnpike which will get you to Florida City. From there you are looking at at least a three to four hour trip into Key West. Tamiami Trail is a a bit out of the way is a two lane highway. Either way should keep you well west and away from Miami. Drive safe and have fun!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

Just relax and don't put yourself into a situation where you have to worry about rushing to make the plane or anything......I'd leave 5-8 hours be fore I want to get there, worst place for wrecks & fire delays would be the keys of course, but you could still have troubles on mainland crossing the glades.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

From the keys you will want to get on the turnpike as quickly as you can. DON'T head towards Miami - instead take the turnpike north towards Fort Lauderdale.

You'll hit I 75 West somewhere. It'll say I 75 West to Naples or Fort Myers.

I 75 (Alligator Alley) is MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than Tamiami.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

I made that same trip a few years ago via the Tamiami Trail (aka Highway 41). It is a slower-paced drive, but it takes you through the one-of-a-kind Everglades (www.everglades.national-park.com). You'll see alligators along the sides of the road, and you can visit the Everglades National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve (www.nps.gov) in Ochopee, FL, as well as the Clyde Butcher photographic gallery (www.clydebutcher.com), also located in Ochopee. There are also businesses along the way offering airboat rides and Caloosa Indian-operated businesses. Visit Shark Valley for a tram ride into the Everglades. The scenery is awesome. There's no place else like it.

SE
Wales
Level Contributor
74 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

We're not really rushing anywhere, as after our 3 days in KW we've got a week in a holiday home in Fort Myers, stopping a night in Naples en route to sightsee.

I just wondered if it was worth taking the Tamiami, but if it's hours longer, then I'm undecided!

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

It wouldn't be hours longer unless you stop and do lots of sightseeing. But even then, you'd be enjoying yourselves! Alligator Alley is great for getting from one coast to the other fast. If you want to explore and experience something unique, go Tamiami Trail. Of course, only you know what you're looking for!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

SE, you are stopping a night in Naples to sightsee? You realize that Ft.Myers is only 30 miles from Naples, it really doesn't require a special overnight stop. You could go to your holiday home and drive back to Naples for a day visit.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

I highly recommend the Tamiami Trail route if you haven't taken it before. You won't have a lot of traffic on a Thursday, and it gives you a much better view of the Everglades than the Alligator Alley (I-75) route. The only traffic tieups -- usually because of traffic lights, not vehicle volume -- you'll encounter are between Krome Avenue and Homestead on the east coast and Naples on the west coast. It's all smooth sailing in between. If you have time, stop at the smallest U.S. Post Office and Clyde Butcher's studio, both in Ochopee in Collier County.

You can probably make it in five hours, assuming you don't stop much. I drive that route quite a bit when I go to Fort Myers, and it has taken me as little as 5 1/2 hours and as many as 7, but I go quite a bit north of Naples.

SE
Wales
Level Contributor
74 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving times to Naples from KW on Tamiami & I 75 on a...

Thanks for the suggestions.

From what I'm reading, I think the tamiami is the route for us, stop to smell the flowers and all that!! We're overnighting in Naples simply to see it, see the Everglades & try an airboat ride. Any recommendations for everglades tours?