We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 10yr wedding anniversary

NJ
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Our 10yr wedding anniversary

Today is an extremely slow day at work, so I decided to start browsing around for places to go/stay for a long weekend. I started out looking at places down the NJ shore, some B+B's, Cape May, etc. They are still all going for 250+ a night. Switched to PA and CT. Mystic Seaport, Poconos, etc. Didn't find anything too appealing, and still rather expensive.

On a lark, decided to check air for KW. It's been 7 months since our last trip, and I've been having attacks os Keys Disease weekly. The time I'm looking to go, Sept 16 or 17 thru the 21st is avail via Continental, for $20 plus 50,000 miles, which we have.

So....the travel to KW, will cost as much as the travel to any of the places near me, since gas is so high.

That leaves the following dilemma.

1) Last time, we were done 1st week of Oct, and it was pretty dead down there. Is the middle of Sept a real quiet time? Like the 1st week of Oct? I don't need standing room only crowds, but many of the night spots were empty in Oct. I watched the Yanks get booted from the playoffs with just my wife at Ricks outside bar,

2) Where would you recommend us staying for something the the range of $200 a night. We were at Heron House Court in Oct, liked it, but would like something a little more fancy for 10yr anniversary. The price can be a bit higher, but not too much.

Previously, we've always rented a house with other couples, so maybe a resort would be the way to go? This has me so excited, I can hardly type.

NJ
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

Also, how much of a risk is this time for hurricane season. High? Med?

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

You might look into the Gardens Hotel - it gets raves and is in a great location.

I think historically, September and October have the highest incidents of hurricanes (it may be August and September), but in any event we've been there in October for well over ten years and have never experienced one. You might consider trip insurance.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,539 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

Just in case this doesn't pan out, take a look at the Mirror Lake Inn at Mirror Lake, NY., one lake over from Lake Placid. Based on where you are in NJ it should take abou 4 - 5 hours to get up there and like Key West you can park there then walk to most things in the little community.

Pjk

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

Things are quiet in KW from right after Labor Day until Fantasy Fest the last week of October. I would say the third week of September there will be about the same amount of people as the first week of October.

Check out the Southernmost properties for a nice place to stay and at that time of year it should be in your budget.

NJ
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

Thanks. That Mirror Lake place is a bit on the pricy side....maybe for our 25yr

June 20 - October 12, 2008 $3,195 per Couple

Package Rate is for Three Nights (all taxes and gratuities are INCLUDED with this package)

This package includes three nights in one of our luxurious Ausable, Whiteface or Saranac Suites, a full breakfast daily and romantic candlelight dinner each evening in The View Restaurant, and also one 50-minute spa service for each of you each day. You also receive a seasonal flower arrangement, a room gift each day, aromatic spa bath products for the over-sized whirlpool bath, and a plush Mirror Lake Inn bathrobe for each of you to bring home.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

You may want to look into when the Key West Bike Week is. I think it's September but don't quote me on that.

Key West
Level Contributor
296 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

I have to disagree with you about the 3rd week of September being as quiet as the start of October. Friday, September 19, 2008 thru Sunday, September 21, 2008 is the 36th Annual Key West Poker Run. It is the loudest week of the year. That weekend, Key West is taken over by hundreds of motorcycles. They are great people but the noise is out of control. I have been here for the last 3 years and am seriously thinking of leaving the island that week for some peace and quiet. It is a great fundraiser and a good cause, but not a typical week on our normally quiet little island.

www.petersonskeywestpokerrun.com

Key West is usually sold out that week for lodging so if you plan to be here that week, you will need to plan ahead. My place may be for rent that weekend!

Key west, FL
Level Contributor
458 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

Bike Week. Rates will be higher.

Try calling the innkeepers association Inn Touch. This is a free service and they will help you find something in your budget and fitting what you are looking for.

1-800-492-1911.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

Agreeing with SusieQ....I was there two years ago during the Poker Run & it is very noisy, but the crowd is fun (and I personally love the motorcycles).

KeyWestSusieQ - I'll be back this year during the Poker Run. Chad Bradford will be at Cowboy Bills that same weekend. Hope you decide to stay in town & we'll see you at the show!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our 10yr wedding anniversary

Well for what my 2 cents is worth....

I guess it depends on what you're looking for busy wise. I've been down there during the highest of the high season and the "lowest" of the low. It may slow down a bit for the late night crowd, but there is always a good afternoon crowd. And often, you meet better folks that time of the day and have more rewarding conversation.

I have 2 recomendations on places to stay. Best value on the island is without a doubt the Angelina Guest House. You can get pretty much whatever you want at the price you are listing. The location and service is as good, or better then anywhere on the island. My other choice would be the Tropical Inn. More expensive, but you get a few more amenities.

I don't think you can go wrong with a keys trip anytime. Espeically if your suffing from keys disease after only a 7 months. Heck, I'm coming back after 5=)