We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned but two questions

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned but two questions

Just returned from Key West and had a good time. Amazed at the tolerance and live and let live attitude. Did have two questions though:

Where does KW get its drinking water. One guy on the plane said desalinization, another sign at the dock said piped in. I've done some work in water law and curious.

Okay, to everyone that hasn't been spoiled by the likes of Clearwater or Fort Lauderdale beaches, they will really like your beaches, and compared to most parts of the county, better than average. There was only the issue of the seagrass everywhere. So, what's up? Too expesive to clear? Wanting to keep it natural? It's your beaches and you can keep them the way you want but it seems so non-Florida (see cities mentioned above).

Thanks again for having us on your island.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned but two questions

Hope you'll do a report and discuss your reaction to the places you stayed, ate, etc.

The water is piped in but we do have a big expensive desal plant on Stock Island that's a standby situation. They fire it up occasionally but the membranes are so expensive to replace it would cost a fortune to run as a primary supply.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned but two questions

Considering that mainland Florida water is pretty nasty tasting, then taking Miami water and sending it down 140 miles of pipeline doesn't make it any more palatable. I stick to bottled drinking water in the Keys, as do most of the locals I suspect.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned but two questions

I do recommend my house guests to drink bottled water as I do (of course mine tastes like beer). I've had 2 friends get a little "loose" down here drinking tap. Not nearly like Mexico where you have to take Lomotil but I do keep some in the house. After years of being here I'm immune to any bugs in it, but visitors are not. I believe the water supply line replacement is done. We depended on an old OLD Navy supply forever, I can't imagine what that looked like inside.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned but two questions

I am with KWT on this. We used a bottle water service that would drop off jugs and I even used that water for my bird. I know of people who have fish tanks that have horror stories of their tanks "crashing" after using KW tap water so now they only use bottle water for the tank.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned but two questions

Many of the beaches are cleared. Not in the state parks, though, because they want to keep them natural. Natural part of the ecosystem, helps bind the sand and prevent erosion down the road, etc.

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
462 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned but two questions

I myself can almost stand anything with an iron stomach ,but my wife is very sensitive. That said after our first trip with her to south Florida drinking tap water. Never again. Only bottled water from then on. Kind of sketchy even for me to drink anymore. Just my opinion.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned but two questions

I've drank the tap water in Key West and bottled water, kind of a half and half thing...middle of the night need water.....

Anyways I'm okay, but then I've been told that I'd drink anything. :)

Ringoes, New Jersey
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned but two questions

Water? What's that? I thought in Key West all the taps have amber colored liquid that forms an ice cold frothy head?

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned but two questions

I use the tap water for washing and that's about it. I do have a filter on the fridge and that seems to help.

The pipeline is 138 miles long and was built by the Navy between '41 and '42. (At 18' it took water six days to reach Key West) In the 80's a newer, larger pipeline was put in with smaller sections farther down the Keys. In 1998, the last of the original 18' pipe was replaced. The desalinization plant (current plant) opened in '67. It's expensive to operate and is used only in emergencies. Probably more than you wanted to know.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned but two questions

Hmmm - I only drink the tap water here. Guess I'm the odd one out - I don't notice a taste or odor to it. I'm also one of those "green" people - hate seeing all the waste of the water bottles.

On the beaches where they do clear the grass - it's hard to keep up with when you have a strong wind blowing in that direction. Sombrero keeps up ok, but only on the beach, not in the water. But when it's blowing 20 from the E for days - it's hard to keep up with.