We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key west Shuttle?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Key west Shuttle?

Has anyone take the Key west shuttle from Ft. Myers?

Me and my girlfriend are probably going to do the round trip (135 each) rather than drive all the way down from tampa. Other than the possiblity of bad weather...good luck with dennis by the way...are there any other negatives?

It seems like a good idea rather than the long drive down and not having to worring about parking once we get there. seems like we can get around fine on foot, bike or scooter.

Side question:

we're going to be down for the hemmingway fest, just by chance. I'd like to brush up on my hemmingway reading (not that there is anything to brush)...can anyone suggest a good book/story? Maybe something with some good Key West influence.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,166 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key west Shuttle?

Funny you should ask, and these should be available used in the bookstore on Fleming Street...

Hemingway's Key West by Stuart B. McIver

Papa: Hemingway in Key West by James McLendon

...both as much about Key West as about Hemingway.

Then there is a small volume called Ernest Hemingway by Earl Rovit which is about the best intro to him and his influence as a writer. And A.E. Hotchner's book, Hemingway, gives a brief outline of his life and their relationship.

And Hemingway: A Life Without Consequences by James Mellow is my favorite of the single-volume biographies.

Finally, By-line: Ernest Hemingway edited by William White contains reprints of his magazine articles and war-reporting. There is an entire section of his writing about, and from, Key West.

Pjk

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key west Shuttle?

I would add "To Have and Have Not" to that list...

the shuttle, from Ft. Myers is good, from what I have heard. the only potential drawback is its a "high speed" ferry and will shut down if seas are even slightly rough. but I bet it beats the drive...

Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Key west Shuttle?

I've taken the Key West Shuttle from Ft. Myers. The cost was reasonable and only 3 hours or so, with free parking at the Marina. In three trips, once the return was cancelled due to high seas, which made for a quick airline booking, which we were lucky to get. We always did a different day return (I can't imagine only staying the day), but keep in mind that you do return to Ft. Myers around 10 p.m. so, if you've had a full day that day in KW, a two hour drive at that time might not be that appealing. If you rent a room in Ft. Myers to get daylight driving the following day, with gas prices, you've probably almost met what a direct flight cost would be from Tampa. Otherwise, the boat itself was fine, and quick! Just be sure to financially prepare for a sudden airline ticket if necessary! Either way beats driving to Miami!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,166 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key west Shuttle?

Phoebe - where does the shuttle tie up in Key West? I've watched it come in and it looks like it berthes somewhere in the bight, and if so, did you just carry your luggage to where ever you were staying? It seems difficult to get a ride from the bight.

Thanks

Pjk

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key west Shuttle?

We are staying at the La Te Da, other side of the island (I think it's the other side) but weren't to worried about lugauge. we were planing on just paking a back pack full of clothes a piece. we figured we didn't need much...bathing suite, few pair of shorts, shirts, and clean draws.

We thought we'd probably walk it checking out duval street and maybe a few/bunch of cocktails on the way. But we're not above a taxi if we get to tired, it will be the middle of a hot july day. I just want to have fun and not worrie about much.

Also, let me just say this we site rocks, mostly because of all of the people who contribute. I'm very glad i found it. The information is almost overwhelming. Hopefully i'll be able to contribute in the future.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,166 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key west Shuttle?

It's only about 15 or 20 minutes from the Bight to LaTeDa, non-stop, so you won't have a proble with just packs. You coul stop at Turtle Kraals at the wharf or Sloopy Joes or Hogg's Breath on Duval on the way to check-in.

Pjk

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key west Shuttle?

This is nothing to do with the shuttle, but we go to the Hemingway Festival every year - a great time and so surreal to see so many Papas everywhere you go!

There is a great bookstore on the island that has tons of Hemingway, of course. And 'To Have and Have Not' is the one to read - I believe written while on the island. Enjoy!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key west Shuttle?

Just got back from our trip and had a great time. The La Te Da was awesome, Bar hopping was a ton of fun (Irish Kevins was a blast), Snorkeling was amazing (I've never seen so many beautiful fish), Food every where was great, and the shuttle was well worth it.

The shuttle was a great ride down from Ft. Myers, closer to a 4 hour trip than 3, but time really flew. I definitely recommend going to key west this way if you don't mind spending the loot. The way down was a big party, I don't think anyone stepped off the boat sober. That had a lot to do with the fact that I think the boat gave a ft. Myers hooters restaurant a bunch of tickets and there were more hooters girls on my trip than papa's on the island. My girlfriend told me I did this on purpose, darn the luck. If you do take this trip, bring a lot of cash. The beers are $4 and mixed drinks even more and the don't take plastic.

They way home, 4 days later, was much more relaxed. We sat inside most of the time while they showed a movie. The sunset would have been great but was cloudy. The sand storm did make for some pretty skies as the sun went down though. A great ending to a wonderful trip. Just make sure you watch the weather, I don't think I'd want to be on board in a storm.

Every great story has a bad part though, right? When we got back to the dock in Ft. Myers they had to shuttle us to our cars since we docked at a different place, but they only had one van and a boat full of tired people. took forever to get on a shuttle then wasn't even brought to the right place! We eventually found our car in a empty grass lot with no lights, not real cool. but I was probably a little more irritated since I was so tired.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Key west Shuttle?

orock, I'm also in the Tampa area, my girlfriend and I took the shuttle down in Feb of this year. After the 2 hour drive down to Ft Myers and the 4 hour or so shuttle it wasn't a whole lot quicker than driving. We drove down over the 4th of July weekend and it only took us 6.5 hours or so. And yeah, got to love Irish Kevins, and Finnegan's Wake is also great!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key west Shuttle?

your right, the time it takes to get down from Tampa is comparable (although we did stay in Sarasota the night before we headed down so the drive was about an hour), so the things to weigh...chilling on a cruise, rather than a car. This is why not going in bad weather is important. The cost of gas vs. the cost of the tickets. with our coupon it wasn't much more than what gas would cost. I don't think we'd do it at full price and there is no way I would ever do this as a day trip, as they intend it to be. basically because they don't want to be held liable if you get stuck down there and you'd only be there for about 4 hours.

our next time down we're going to drive, mostly so we can do the overseas highway and check out some of the other keys.

So for us from now on we're going to weigh our options before deciding to do it again.