We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Weekend

ashleyk85
1 post
Save Topic
Memorial Day Weekend

Good afternoon everyone! I will be traveling to Key West, this Friday May23 ands returning on the 28. I love Key Wet and I always find something to do but being it is Memorial Day weekend....does anyone know of anything different, fun and exciting going on??? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ashley K. =o)

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day is not typically a day of celebration but instead, somber remembrance of those who gave thier lives so we can live the way we do. There will be, like so many American towns, a ceromony at the cemetary to honor the fallen. Also, like it's been in the past twenty years or so the majority of people will not take more than a second or two (if that) to think about it. Life in Key West will go on and all the favorite places will be open and all the activities will be available. Travel safely, come and have fun. If you're like most folks, you've worked your butt off in order to come to Key West for the week. Enjoy, you deserve it.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

I believe the Minimal Regatta is on Sunday, if I have my dates right. It's a boat race with homemade boats. Takes place at the bight near Schooner Wharf Bar. I've never been but it looks like fun.

FLA
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Minimal regatta is tons of fun..some people dress up in costume and the drag queens are sometimes there. It's a fun time...but..crowded

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

I heard this morning on US1Radio that this coming weekend is also a celebration for Cuban American Heritage. There are event such as a progressive Cuban dinner, a cigar dinner, something called a Conga Line, a Cuban yoyo fishing contest and domino tournament, etc. Sounds like lots of good food and fun!

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Tim or other locals - is there likely to be a commemoration at the USS Maine memorial in the cemetary on Memorial Day?

Tampa
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Minimal Regatta is on Sunday. I went last year. Go early and check out the differnt boats before the actaul race. We had good views from Republic last time!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

I'd almost guarnetee it'll be centered around the U.S.S. Maine memorial.

8. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 02:19