We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Key West

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Weekend in Key West

Hi, I'm taking my boyfriend for a weekend getaway for his birthday & he loves the water so I was thinking the Keys..probably specifically Key West.

The only problem is he'll only be 20 when we go & I've heard it's not as fun if you're not 21?

Is this true? What kinds of other things would there be for us to do?

We'll be there Friday through Sunday.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Key West

What kind of other things do you like to do? There are a million things to tour, shop, eat, see, do.

Do you want to get out on the water? Do you want to go out to Fort Jefferson? Do you want to see the history of KW? What kind of food do you like to eat?

At 20, he'll be able to do everything that you can do, except drink, but then he can't do that in Tampa either.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Key West

We love the water and he esp. loves seafood.

What are some nice water sports rental places? Good service, decent prices?

Any must-eat-at restaurants you can think of, esp. seafood?

We'll probably be going the second weekend of July, the weekend following July 4th weekend. I was thinking that should be decent on the crowds, how's the weather at that time?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,700 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Key West

There is plenty to do in Key West and the Keys for any age, and if you drink or not. If you can't have fun because he's not 21, you can't have fun anywhere.

Take you time driving through the Keys and see all there is to see and enjoy.

Key west, FL
Level Contributor
458 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Key West

If he likes the water, look at doing one of the all day power adventures.

Fury, Sebago or sunset watersports all have them. They all include snorkeling, kayaking, para sailing, jet skis, water trampoline and other water toys such as ice bergs to climb or banana boat rides.

They all run about $139.00 pp including the para sailing.

So much to see and do in Key West I think he will have a blast.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Key West

Plenty for the two of you to do... If you want to spend the day out on the water it's not a problem. tons of places you can look at on here or even just find when you get down.

As for him being 20... Might limit him somewhat.. But i've witnessed people a lot younger then 20 walking around with beers in their hand. Sure it wouldn't be an issue. Especially with open container down there.

But you didn't hear that from me.

Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Key West

True there are tons of bars in KW, but you can stay really busy without the Duval crawl.

There is fishing and snorkeling and parasailing and jet skis...all the water sports. The ferry or plane to Dry Tortugas or visit Fort Zachary Taylor. Tons of good food!! If you like to hang on the beach you could stay over on Roosevelt and the beach is just across the road. A weeknd isn't long, I am sure you could fill up your time.

One thing you will find is that people are really helpful, all you have to do is ask once you get there and you'll get lots of suggestions.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
936 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Key West

I returned to Key West the first week of May this year and stumbled upon a nice little "out of the way" place on Packer Street, about 2 blocks east of the main drag. It is called "The Good Life" and I had a spectacular meal (black grouper), the price was quite fair and the people could not have been more pleasant. I was told by a patron that the place is difficult to get into on the weekend.

You may want to take the Conch Train tour first just to get some info on Key West and see where everything is. You can get on and off the same day without additional fees.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Key West

There are some really great restaurants, a great spa called PraNa, and a nice beach at Ft. Zachary Taylor, and lots of shopping - plenty to do if you're not 21!

9. Re: Weekend in Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 21:16