We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

Hi there! First trip to KW is at the end of this month. Staying for four days at La Mer and Dewey House. (Unless someone here cautions me not to!)

REALLLLLLLY eager to try snorkeling, since I've never done it.

I'm used to the murky, quartz-green water of the Jersey shore, where all you can see is garbage, used medical waste, and bloated guys named Vinnie wearing concrete sneakers.

Is it worth it to rent the snorkel stuff at the public beaches and paddle around on your own, or is it pretty blah? If it's worth it, if only for a quick peek, is there a better time to day to go out?

Also, I'd appreciate the recommendation for a good snorkel tour company--considering Danger Charters for snorkel/kayaking becuz of the good TA reviews.

Any tips welcome! :)

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
65 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

Really, the only snorkeling to be had here is off shore. There are many good outfits for snorkeling, from small, intimate sail boats like Danger, to large 100 person catamarans like Sebago, Fury, etc. The snorkeling in the summer is epic and one of the great things about visiting in the summer. Definitely get out on at least one of these trips. You may even think about doing a snorkel trip to the reef one day - Floridays out of the Hyatt hotel has a nice trip too, and Danger's backcountry trip another. Danger's full day trip often visits some really great reef spots in the Gulf of Mexico, but these patch reefs are a distinct and biologically different eco system than the barrier reef in the Atlantic.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

I'm grateful for the info! Thanks!

Definitely want to get out on the Danger all-day back country jaunt. Maybe jam in the manic Fury Water Adventures thing, too, especially if it means snorkeling a different area.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

I will be next door at the SMOB from June 28-July 5.

Any of our days overlap? La Mer and Dewey are really nice, you'll love it.

I did the Fury Adventure last year and it was great.

I plan to do the Danger trip this year for a different experience.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,960 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

During a trip to Key West last week I did both of the snorkel/kayak trips, the Sebago Island T'Ing and Danger Charters, and love them both. These trips are worth the cost even if you try snorkeling and don't care for it or can't get the hang of it The crew members who are responsible for the snorkelers always ask if there are new snorkelers or weak swimmers and pay particular attention to you, making 2bl sure you're equipment is OK and that you snorkel near the boat until you are comfortable. Haig on the Danger trip even came into the water and stayed with the beginners and found things that he thought would be of interest. Not every trip does this.

The nice thing is that, in general, Sebago goes to one snorkeling area, Sand Key, e.g., and the Danger goes to another, Cottrell Key which is noted for rays, so taking both trips is not redundant. And both use different types of boats. And if you are used to snorkeling off the Jersey shore you are in for a treat. If you take one of these trips, as soon as it leaves Key West stand up at the rail and just watch the water. You will see it change color as you sail out, and last week we saw sea turtles and a mother and baby porpoise followed us out for a while.

Go for it. And if the weather forecast is good, book on-line ahead of time as they only take a limited number of passengers.

Pjk

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

As for the local snorkling - this past week we did rent the snorkles and fins az Ft Zachery state park and did see some very beautiful fish there by the rocks. Certainly no way near the variety and quantity of fish you'll see at the reef but for an easy feel for snorkling at a cheap price ($10.00 for the day) this is an option.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

What do you guys think of schlepping out to the Dry Tortugas on the Yankee Freedom? Worth giving over an entire day to the trip?

We're only gonna be in KW for the first part of the week (3.5 days total), and it's our first time to the area, so I'm trying to sketch out the most "Wowzy-Wow!" itinerary, without being too ambitious and over-booked, ya know?

Wondering if the day-long back country kayak/snorkel will be a good intro to snorkeling, or if tacking on another whole-day deal to the Dry T's is a must, as well.

Thoughts?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,960 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

If you are spending 3.5 days in Key West taking either of the boats out to the Tortugas will eat up 2 hours going and 2 hours coming back. And since the boarding time is 7:30 a.m., it might affect what you do on the night before. I'd leave it for a next, longer trip. I'd rather do either of the snirkel / kayak trips. Approx 10:00 - 4:00 which gets you back just in time for happy hour.

Pjk

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

You are the voice of reason!

I'm imagining trying to board a ship, hung-over, at 7:30 a.m. Yeah...all the Dramamine in the world won't stop what would come next. LOL!

Man, I can't even do that NOT hung-over! :P

9. Re: Snorkeling KW--help a lazy traveler!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 23:17