We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh ,where to start ?

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Oh ,where to start ?

Hi we are going to Florida by Christmas time this year, and the plan was some days in orlando and after that we should have stayed with friends, but our friends might not be there so.

We are coming to orlando stay at disneyworld first to the 20 th dec, after that we are free to about the 30 dec .

My husbond want to go to the key west, so heer I am

We are two adults three children 11,5,3 and we need a

place to stay would like to see the sea and walking around to the beaches and restaurants .

We will of course be staying there by 24/25 dec

Any ideas for this two days, any special events we can share ?

And how much money are we talking about we are moderate people not luxery.

Any ideas of hotels , bed & breakfast small inns ?

Would be very helpful

Thank You

Mutter

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

I hate to sound like a downer but Christmas Week in Key west is one of busiest, if not the busiest week, there. It will be expensive. Most places you find will have a minimum stays of 3 - 5 days. Most small inns and B&B's do not accept children but this place does and it gets great reviews.

http://www.islandcityhouse.com/

You could also look at The Southernmost Hotel

http://www.southernmosthotel.com/

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

As Arnie pointed out, most of the small inns and B&B won't take children under 12. The week between Christmas and New Years is very busy indeed. I know the exchange rate is very favorable for Europeans right now, but I think you will find that Christmas week is pretty expensive. I did a quick check of a very nice motel, the Best Western Hibiscus …bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do… and their prices are not too bad considering the holiday time. This is a very family friendly hotel, has a nice clean pool, jacuzzi and continental breakfast is included. Mid-week was about $170 a night but goes up over the weekend.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

Thank You both of You.

Very nice places, but is it general disliking of children at the key west ?

If it is, maybe it better just to take a daytrip to the area ?

Mutter

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

No, not at all. Key West is very child friendly, after all children live there. There is plenty for the kids to do there and the hotels that Arnie and I mentioned are very family friendly. It is just that a lot of the small inns and B&B are more adult oriented. Some have expensive antiques, clothing optional pools and decks and guests who prefer a more quiet lodging.

By all means, come and bring the kids. You all will have a great time. Kids should be off the lower end of Duval after 9 PM though, as that is the bar/party district and it can be a bit much for small kids.

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

Ditto what Sim said. Its very friendly and there are tons and tons of things to do for kids. Your children will not get bored.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

Ok So are we taking about 250 -300 dollars pr night then ?

What area is the best to bring the kids then ?

We will still like to be outside walking a bit, to much inside the rest of the year working.

And sorry to get You wrong.

We also own a inn heer in Denmark and we know a lot of old inns like our that dont wont children in.

so thats ok.

Mutter

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

You want to find something in Old Town. Duval is the main street in Key West so many people prefer to be close to it. Here are a few good maps to help.

keywesttravelguide.com/key-west-hotel-map.ht…

www.see-keywest.com/images/KeyOldTown.PDF

http://keywest.com/newbigmap.gif

http://www.seefloridaonline.com/duval/

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

if i understand you correctly you may have a week available to you to spend in key west. if that is so i would reccomend a home rental as it's so much nicer for a family group. my children although now grown spent many fabulous vacations in key west and just loved it. they continue to visit and now bring their children.

www.athomeinkeywest.com

this is just one of many fine rental co.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

I'd suggest that you read up a little at the Tripadvisor Overview page. There is a lot of very good info here, most written by other tourists and Key West locals.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g34345-Key_West_Flor…

There is a lot of good info on tourist attractions, restaurants, hotels, and activities. Come back with some specific questions after checking out the activities and opinions.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oh ,where to start ?

Arnie and simkeith know their stuff. We stayed Best Western Hibiscus last year with our children and it was great. We couldn't get in this year for the days we needed so are staying at Southernmost on the Beach this time. It also gets great reviews and is in the same locale along with its sister hotel The Southernmost Hotel.

I would love to stay at Island city House as well. It looks beautiful and is in a nice residential area close to the harbor area.

Key West will be a big change from Disney. I like Disney but I love Key West.