We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

ohio
12 posts
Save Topic
Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

My husband and I are planning a trip at the end of July to celebrate our anniversary. We are going crazy trying to decide where to stay (we have spent way too much time reading trip reviews!). Since we will be there 4 nights, would it be worth it to divide our stay between 2 places? We are leaving our kids at home so would like a place with few (read-none)kids. The Key West Harbor Inn is full, but some we are considering are Heron House, Eden House, The Gardens, Marquesa the Pier House and Simonton Court. Sorry to say, for this trip, fun and a pool rank a little higher than romance. Thanks and I appreciate any advice you might have.

Mentioned in this post
Key West Harbor Inn
Key West Harbor Inn
931 Reviews
Key West, FL
Heron House
Heron House
496 Reviews
Key West, FL
Eden House
Eden House
1,905 Reviews
Key West, FL
The Gardens Hotel
The Gardens Hotel
1,895 Reviews
Key West, FL
Marquesa Hotel
Marquesa Hotel
1,084 Reviews
Key West, FL
Orchid Key Inn
Orchid Key Inn
#2 of 51 hotels in Key West
Marquesa Hotel
Marquesa Hotel
#6 of 51 hotels in Key West
Eden House
Eden House
#8 of 51 hotels in Key West
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,213 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

Just a few helps (helps?)

Yes, I think people make too much a deal about choosing a place. Most of the B&B's are reputable and the ones you mention should all be OK. And don't split your stay. Too much bother.

I doubt there will be anything at the Pier House at the end of this month. It's easy to check on-line so that may reduce your number of choices, and every time I've stayed there, there have been children. Rarely loud bothersome children, but children none-the-less.

hth

Pjk

Kansas City
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. My personal favorite is the Pier House, but they are undergoing some construction right now so that may factor in. I would just pick the one that fits your desires for price, location, and amenities. I would not change rooms unless you just want to try a different room for some reason. Moving is always such a hassle. Just pick one and have fun.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

We stayed at the Marquesa for our aniv last year. Since a pool is high on your list, I can offer a few comments on the pools there. There are two pools there. They are smaller, not tiny, but not large. We were there during the week and the pool area was very quiet. No kids that I remember. Great for kicking back with a book or drink, or just sunning or swimming. Some people want a large, busier pool area with tiki bar etc, that is not at the Marquesa.

Pools were very clean, as was the entire hotel and grounds. I highly recommend the hotel. Staff was great. Short walk to the action, small grocery 1/2 block away with deli, beer and wine. I haven't been to any of the others you mentioned, so this is about all I can offer. Have a great visit!

Mentioned in this post
Marquesa Hotel
Marquesa Hotel
1,084 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key west, FL
Level Contributor
458 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

Any of the ones you mentioned would be great. Marquesa, The Gardens and Heron house would or could be heavy on the romance, but they are also all excelently located for Duval Street Fun. Out of the three I think the Gardens would be a good choice. Marquesa can be a little stuffy. Simonton Court I think would also suite you. Closer to the Harbor and near Duval Street. Not sure who would have the best pool out of the B & B choices? To avoid Kids stay at the adult only B & B's as opposed to a hotel, especially if planning on time at the pool.

Mentioned in this post
Marquesa Hotel
Marquesa Hotel
1,084 Reviews
Key West, FL
The Gardens Hotel
The Gardens Hotel
1,895 Reviews
Key West, FL
Heron House
Heron House
496 Reviews
Key West, FL
Duval Street
Duval Street
11,582 Reviews
Key West, FL
Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

If only staying for 4 nights or so I would not want to have to move mid stay. It's just a hassle to have to pack up and move and park again and unpack and get reoriented and on and on when you could just be enjoying a nice day. I'd pick one and go for it. Then just relax and let the stress roll away. If necessary ... have another mojito!

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

All the places you have picked are nice and you will have a nice stay in any of them.

Once I get to where I am going I like to stay in one place and I would say don't move,stay in one place.

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

Definately pick one place and stay there.

If it was my vacation, out of your list, I'd pick Heron House first, Simonton Court second. I like the Heron House location (close but not too close) and the overall look of the place. It also seems to be a well run operation. Full disclosure: we, the delightful Mrs. Gam and I, after looking at Heron House, found it a tad too froo-froo for our taste and did not stay there.

One other thing: my perception of your list is these properties are not all in the same category as far as class is concerned. Because I've been accused of constantly dumping on one of the properities, I do not want to say anything that might be thought of as negative about any of them. Maybe someone else might help stephjm out regarding this?

Your pal,

Davy

Mentioned in this post
Heron House
Heron House
496 Reviews
Key West, FL
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

The Gardens would be awesome if you can get it. Pretty special place.

As a place i've stayed at anad loved... Try the Tropical Inn. Most comfortable beds i've ever stayed on and doubtfull you would have kids there.

Mentioned in this post
The Gardens Hotel
The Gardens Hotel
1,895 Reviews
Key West, FL
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

Of the places you list (All good!), I think the Gardens Hotel is the nicest if you feel comfortable with their rates. It's really expensive, but if you want to splurge, that would be my first choice.

Mentioned in this post
The Gardens Hotel
The Gardens Hotel
1,895 Reviews
Key West, FL
Que
UK
Level Contributor
678 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please--We are way overthinking this....

Our favourite is Ocean Key, but there a lot of lovely B&Bs and I'm sure any of your choices will be fine.

I would definitely agree not to split your stay - it's just too much trouble especially if there is a gap between check out and check in times.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,792 Reviews
Key West, FL