We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 7/28-7/31

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 7/28-7/31

Hello all!

I have got to say this was one of the best trips yet in 19 years! The weather was perfect - a little cooler than I a used to this time of year and not quite as humid - so it was great. We are currently stuck in Key West airport on a 2 hour delay so I thought I would post about our trip.

Monday - Landed into KW without any problem. Went to Ocean Key and our room was not ready (but we were early). Our first upgrade landed us right by the construction so with a simple phone call down to the front desk, we were moved to a double upgrade to an oceanfront deluxe room. Let me tell you - it was beautiful. We had an inroom hottub as well as a killer view from two sets of windows in the room. The balcony overlooked the gulph as well as the pool. It really was a treat! Also, since we hit a snag with the construction, the nicely gave us a free breakfast and free drinks. This was a very nice touch!

While we were waiting to check in, we walked around abit and had lunch at Buffett's. Food was ok - Mahi sandwich was good and hubby of course had his cheeseburger - again a tradition. We then went back to the hotel and went swimming - the new pool is lovely! It has a really nice ledge in the deep end where you can just sit and look out at the gulph. We went to the Rooftop for an appetizer and drinks prior to sunset. We then went back to our hotel to see the sunset from our balcony - very nice! Then off to La Trattoria. Food was good and the drinks were nice too. The atmosphere has changed a little so not quite as romantic but still a nice time.

Tuesday - got up and walked the length of the Island. Very nice walk and we saw a few places that were mentioned in reviews. Ended up for lunch at Jack Flat's - great little place. Hubby had a really good cheeseburger and I had the Mahi again - very nice. Went back to the pool and relaxed for the rest of the day. In the evening, we did the Commotion on the Ocean from Fury - fabulous! The music was good and there was plenty of room even though there were a quite a few people on there. Nicely done. We then went back to the Rum Barrell - we had been there prior to our sunset sail - and decided to go back for dinner. Alan and Kristen were great bartenders and took very good care of us. We try to go there a few times per trip as there is always a "Phila transplant" working there. Great little place to just hang out.

Wednesday, we went had breakfast at the Ocean Key's restaurant - it was good and it was on the house which made it even better! We then did the pool for a little bit and then took the Old Town Trolley Tour. I asked for Seabus but it was his day off. Great tour even though we had done it before - just nice to see the whole Island again. Our guides name was Jim and he was quite clever and fun - good information. We then went back to the pool. Later in the evening, we went to the Rooftop again for dinner. I think I have found a new favorite place. It has great atmosphere and really good food. We were seated at a corner table looking over Front Street and we were the only ones out there. Quite romantic. We had the clams (to die for!) and then hubby had the bison - and I had the king crab cocktail as I was in the mood for something lighter. Both meals were fabulous- delicious and well presented! Service was fab as well! Later went back to the Rum Barrell to watch Phillies game. Had the best (and truly authentic) Phila cheesesteak - yummy!

Thursday - had a quick breakfast at Two Friends and went back to the pool. Later wakled around Mallory Square and did some shopping for family at home. Ocean Key was kind enough to give us a slightly later check out and then stowed our bags while we shopped. We had a last lunch at the rum barrell and caught a cab for the airport. The only thing that is depressing is that we are at a two hour delay and stuck at the airport! Ugh! But I guess there are worse places to be stuck.... Already looking forward to this time next year - if we make it that long without being back!

KW

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 7/28-7/31

WOW! I can't believe you already did a trip report and you are not even home yet! Big applause!!! Sounds like a wonderful time! I really enjoyed reading it!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 7/28-7/31

Philly cheese steak in KW?

I'm so there!

Thanks for the TR--good use of the flight delay! LUUUUV that free WiFi in the KW airport.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 7/28-7/31

Great report! Thanks for posting!

Limey

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 7/28-7/31

yeah - just got home now... ugh! Anyway - it was a great time. Things we have to fit in next time is dinner at the Commodore, maybe a glass of wine at Gran Vin or the Bottle Cap... Have definitely added the Rooftop to the "top" of our list for dinner. Also, forgot to mention that one of our stops on Monday was Captain Tony's. Brought back alot of memories... Also forgot to mention how great Carl and the rest of his staff were at the Ocean Key. Once again - top notch!

KW

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 7/28-7/31

Nice trip report.........

Makes me want to return.............

6. Re: Trip report 7/28-7/31

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 09:23