We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

KWT held a contest shortly before our trip asking people what their best hour in Key West was. I thought about posting something then but couldn't quite decide what I wanted to post. I finally decided that I had a trip coming up soon and that I just didn't feel I had had my best hour in Key West as of yet. We are now home temporarily before continuing on our vacation elsewhere. And now I am ready to post my best hour to date in Key West.

We got to a rainy Key West right on time last Saturday. I have never been appreciative of rainy days, let alone rainy vacation days, so it's ironic that what is now my favorite hour was a rainy one. Only in Key West.

How did this occur? Well, as I walked from the plane to the entrance to the airport I was surprised by a sign saying: "Welcome Doug and Ruth! Happy 4oth Anniversary." I immediately know that this is the handiwork of my daughter, Carey. And have no idea how she accomplished this. Well, that was just the beginning. After, I removed my eyes from the sign, I saw who was holding it. Ohwowohwowohwow! I was in shock and awe. It was TIM aka Seabus. I couldn't imagine how she accomplished this. I couldn't believe Tim would do this. I kept thinking I am first of all this anal retentive planner, not the most popular thing to be in Key West. Then on top of that I talk about food ad nauseum and realize that people probably think that I think that Key West is only about the food, maybe Tim included, so why would he ever do this for me? And that wasn't the end. He took us to the Galleon then said he would drop us off wherever we wanted to make our first stop. We chose our traditional beggining of Santiao's Bodega.

Tim wouldn't accept any compensation. He said that the smiles on our faces was payment enough. He refused a tip saying then it wouldn't be a gift. I told him it was the best gift I had ever received in my life, that he had absolutely no idea what this meant to me. And his answer was the magical words: "Welcome home." He almost made a grown man cry with those words.

I will post more later about more that Tim and my daughter did and about my other new friends in Key West and the Conch Tale hour. And yes I will post my food reviews and blow by blow trip report. But for now, I just wanted to widh my friends to BE SAFE, and to say, Key West is all about the food? Nah, that is laughable. I know, I REALLY KNOW, Key West is about the people. Be safe, my friends. I can't wait to see you all again when I return back home.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

That was wonderful!

ahhh sweet Tim.

And btw, I can't wait to read your food reviews! Right up my ally.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

ybbhomeless - what a great story. Tim, you are the best!

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

That is a very nice story, looking forward to more!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

Great story. Tim and Janie are 2 of the nicest people you will meet anywhere, even though though they have a tendency to get me all drunked up at times. LOL I'm glad you had a good time.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

What a great story ybb, he said the same thing to me last Feb and I almost cried! Key West gained more than 2 more citizens when Tim and Janie moved in, it gained one of the best goodwill ambassadors imaginable! Seeing the gang again has become the best part of our trips to the keys!

Stay safe everyone!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

Awwwwwww, what a GREAT story!!! Tim is one of a kind and Key West is lucky to have him.

I cannot wait to hear about your culinary explorations this time!!!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

ok....best forum note EVER !!!!!! wow

Columbus, Indiana
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

To everyone who helped my parents have their best trip ever I truley appreciate it! I only got to see them for a few minutes this morning, but I heard of several tales from, magic shows, and water bingo, and the music, and just another lazy day at Schooner Warf. They really enjoyed everyone they met, and the Conchtail hour was definately a way to say goodbye for now.

We will all be back!

Georgia
Level Contributor
436 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

Oh, so neat!! That's so great to have a daughter to work that out & so special for Tim to do that. Congrats... Oh by the way Sharla2, love your picture :-)

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Welcome Home: Best Hour in Key West

Thanks gacatwoman, that's my little buddy Tiggy, my most favorite foster kitten ever (a real sweetie and hard to give up when the time came).