We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin swim - worthwhile?

Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Dolphin swim - worthwhile?

Any thoughts on dolphin swims? Theater of the Sea or Dolphin Research?

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
72 reviews
from US$145.00*
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
59 reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin swim - worthwhile?

A couple of years ago my family did this at the Theatre of the sea and had a great time. We combined the dolphin swim with a sealion swim and also fed manta rays (I think). The park is quite nice with the usual animal shows, aquatic and birds. We were staying close by in Key Largo and did this over 2 half days. The instruction and marine awareness was excellent, and we learnt a lot about the animals we met. My daughter was 13 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Cornwall UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin swim - worthwhile?

Only have experience of DRC. Our swim was the highlight of a 3 week trip to Fl and had the whole experience videoed by DRC as a keepsake. Absolutely magical - word almost fail me! Not cheap but now one of my family's most treasured possessions.

Coincedently a swim with dolphins was voted no.1 in a list of '50 things to do before you die' a while back on a british tv travel programme and they filmed at DRC so maybe a good indicator also? However we have friends who went to the theater and they would probably say the same!

Whichever you choose you will have a wonderful time.

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin swim - worthwhile?

DEFINITELY worthwhile. I recommend the DRC. While you're in the area, go across the road to the Aqua Ranch where you can swim with huge cobia!

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin swim - worthwhile?

Thanks for the help - my daughter's birthday wish at age 25 is to swim with dolphins. Sounds like DRC is a winner, especially if it is close to Aqua/cobias. I've seen that mentioned a few times as a cool thing to do. Guess I should google cobia since i'm not sure exactly what kind of fish? that is!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin swim - worthwhile?

DRC is the place! We were there last year. Lifetime of memories for the wife..........

6. Re: Dolphin swim - worthwhile?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 12:35
Get answers to your questions about Key West