We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
257 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic

We are first time travelers to the Keys and staying in Marathon for a long weekend (4 days) the first weekend of November. (No, we cannot extend our trip, unfortunately!) We'd like to spend a day in Key West...could anyone recommend a nice beach to visit and some restaurants and places to have a drink for us? Not much into snorkeling, etc...basically just beach loungers. Thank you!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

With only one day and a preference for beach lounging, perhaps stopping at Bahia Honda State park for the beach and a stop at No Name Pub on Big Pine Key for lunch would be an interesting day. No Name Pub advertises as the best pizza in the known universe, and it was at least the best we'd ever had. Nice friendly, laid back kind of place.

You'll miss the fun of Key West this way, but with only one day, you won't miss much of the fun.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,169 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

The best option for a beach is Fort Zachery Taylor on the north western side of the island...

http://www.floridastateparks.org/forttaylor/

You can spend several hours here and buy beer and a lounge chair and swim in the ocean. People say that the bottom is rocky and that you generally need surf shoes.

The alternative is the south side of the island at Smathers Beach. There are a few concessions there where you can rent a chair and buy soft drinks and a snack. This gives you some idea of what it's like

keywesttravelguide.com/smathers-beach-key-we…

There is metered parking along the road just off Smathers.

For a drink etc., if you can stay past four all of the bars along the Key West Bight have happy hours. Alonzo's has 1/2 priced appitizers on everything except oysters on the 1/2 shell. The Conch Republic Seafood Company has 2-4-1 drinks and is just a short distance away. Around the sorner is the Schooner Wharf Bar which usually has a live band. And two doors down is the Half-shell Raw Bar with .50 oysters during happy hour. You could do all of these from 4:00 - 7:00.

Who's the unlucky designated driver?

Pjk

nj
Level Contributor
257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

That would be my boyfriend...by the way...are there a lot of patrolers on the way back?? We will have to pace ourselves...(or at least he will!) and eat a lot to soak up the alcohol!

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

I am a fellow Jersey Girl and, as one, has to argue the point about No Name Pub having the best pizza in the universe. It's good, but it's no Jersey pizza! There is a place in Tavernier called Boardwalk Pizza that has authentic Jersey pizza made by an authentic Jersey boy. But that's not really your question....

For beach girls staying in Marathon, you will want to go to Sombrero Beach. And, yes, you should definitely include at least part of a day at Bahia Honda.

The KW people will help you with how to spend your one day there. I'd do the town and a little shopping/cocktailing/eating rather than the beach. There's a great Coach factory store there, among other more Keysy shops. Faves include Besame Mucho on Petronia and Local Color next to Turtle Kraals. There's also a new handmade jewelry store but I can't remember the name or exact location.

Have fun!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

Get a job then call my boss and quit over the phone.

Actually...

KW is NOT a big beach destination. I'd come and walk. Key West will open itself to you. You will not be bored. Just let the day take you where it will. Simple, easy and relaxing.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

I'd go to the Waterfront walk around the boardwalk, stop have a few drinks, people watch. Good places all around that area, just stop when you see something that looks good to you.

Oh and I'd also try to scheme up different ways to stay longer!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

I'm a beach girl normally but not so much in KW. Ft Zach is pretty nice-or was before the hurricanes, but wasn't our trip highlight. We had a great time biking around the historic part of town. We had great lunches at El Siboney, we loved our first Cuban meal. I had a great time shopping on Duval and drinking the punch at Capt Tony's. I think the best things to do on KW are to bike and walk around, have good food and good drinks.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,785 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

Bahia Honda and Sombrero should be your beach days - KW spent seeing other sites, walking around, looking at the shops and museums and eating. The ride back from KW all sandy and salty is a really long one.

A lot of patrols on the way back? They are there, but they aren't lining the roads. Go with the speed of the traffic.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
307 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

Please be careful driving if you've or anyone else had drinks! US1 for the most part is very dark at night, there are patrolmen out and key deer are active! You drive over many bridges from KW to Marathon. You should be very alert driving, especially at night-it's feasible to launch your car into the water along the way if you are less than sober. Be safe!

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you only had a day, what would you do in KW?

If you want to go to the beach you can do that from Matathon. Go down to Bahia Honda at MM 37. Nice beach and a good place to get in the water for a swim.

In Key West you can go to Ft. Zack beach but If I only had one day I wouldn't go to the beach.

Take a walk around town, aroind the historical marina and up and down Duval. Go in the shops, bars and restaurants and have a relaxing day so when you come back on your next trip you will know what you want to do.