We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

I'd like to know from both repeat visitors and those that haven't been here yet how this TA forum has impacted you. Is it helpful? Did you decide to go to KW over someplace else because of it? Are we too sarcastic sometimes? Please share a paragraph or two and share your opinion.

I will mail a 3x5 foot Conch Republic flag to the winner and the only condition is to post a link to a picture of it flying in your hometown. I will ask someone else to judge this contest and declare a winner. Fair enough?

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

Hey...great idea kwt!!!

December will be my 7th trip to Key West in 20 months. Yep....I definately have the disease. I joined trip advisor last spring but only recently found the forum. lol Took me a while to get to all the links.

I thoroughly enjoy all posters. The sarcasm is tongue in cheek and you can tell it is meant in goodwill and never intended to hurt anyone. I enjoy the humour and look forward to many new friendships here.

The forum is very informative and helpful. It has given me many new ideas for places to try and things to do. I tend to be a creature of habit and get comfortable with the tried and true. I love the mix of opinions from locals and visitors. No chance to get bored here. You never know what you will see next..lol

I also love read trip reports. They can never be too long or too frequent. It's like reliving each and every vacation all at once. Sometimes all it takes is an offhand comment to see things through another's eyes, to get the adrenaline flowing with desire to try something new.

Great job all of you and a big thank you to all the TA's.

Debb

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

Too sarcastic? I don't understand the question ;-)

This forum hasn't changed my travel habits at all.

How it has impacted me and the lovely buffettgal, is we have meet some wonderful people because of TA. This past Friday we got to meet Jeanh and the wonderful Mr Jeanh from Iowa.

We got to surprise friends living in KW that we met because of TA.

I even got to take a picture of 4 KW DE's - all in one spot at one time.

Thats the impact for me meeting great people form all over.

Mentioned in this post
Iowa
Iowa
United States
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

Too sarcastic? Well certain people have turned sarcasm in to an art form, eh buffetguy and PJ507? =)

I've actually learned a lot from this site, and continue to discover new and interesting nooks and crannies thanks to posts here.

It really hasn't changed my travel plans all that much. I was hooked on the place before I ever discovered TA.

There is a wealth of information here for the newcomers as well as the seasoned vets.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
186 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

I have been kind of lurking around here for several months. First off, I had never travelled anywhere before discovering TA. I love reading reviews, and I love to read about new places. I have discovered in the last two years, that I have been missing an important part of life by not going anywhere. I feel like a new person, and have TA to thank for it! I started going to Florida two years ago. I have since fallen in love with it, and try to come down at least twice a year. Eventually, I hope to move down there, away from all this cold and snow.

I have never been to Key West, and originally I was planning on Sanibel Island. Through all of everyones light hearted humor (no I don't feel that you are too sarcastic), and lasting friendships a lot of you seem to have, I have decided that Key West is for me. We will be coming down in May 2009. I could not be more excited! My cooworkers think I am a lunatic, which is funny, because I am a Psychiatric nurse. All I do when I am off work is look up things in Key West: shops, restaurants, tours, and things like that. I really would like to thank everyone here for all of the input you have given me!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

cheri88 - You will fit right in in Key West. With all the (how can I put this delicately) unusual characters who reside there, you will have a lot of fun analyzing them. An evening in the Schooner Warf Bar will have you shaking your head. no doubt.

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
616 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

or an evening at Irish Kevins.....

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
624 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

...or an hour at the Garden of Eden. :-)

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

cheri you'll definately give your education a workout while you are here! The entire islands' population is pretty disfunctional, but at least we know it and roll with it.....

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

I actually made my decision to go to KW based on the advice I received from TA -- my post "Bringing Grandma to Key West?"

The original premise of this trip was to take my daughter somewhere warm during her Christmas break from graduate school since she hates the cold and has been working her tail off in school, and to celebrate her 26th BD. Had thought about Mexico/ Carribean type spots, then realized we wouldn't even need to leave the country if we went to the Southernmost point. When my older daughter (28) and my mother (72) heard about our plans, they wanted in. None of us have ever been to KW, but mom has always been interested in going. She's very adventurous! I wasn't sure it would be her kind of place, but the responses I received, along with other information I discovered on this forum, led me to believe this is our kind of place. I love the kick-back attitude and the sharp-witted humor of the experts and locals - not to mention how cool it seems to have dogs and cats and chickens all over the place! I'm on this site at least once a day and always find interesting information. I'm not one to over-plan a vacation, but there's so much I want to do from hearing everyone's adventures that I'm sure we'll pack it in...and still have to leave lots for future visits.

Things we're planning that I learned on this site:

Driving down from FLL (changed flight from MIA thanks to TA) in a convertable; staying two nights middle keys at a mom&pop type place where we will go to Theater of the Sea and Bahia Honda. Four nights in KW at Almond Tree (again thanks to forum). On daughter's BD going for nice dinner and to drag show at her request. Sunset at Mallory square; ghost tour thanks to Orlagh; butterflys, Hemmingway house, and a snorkel trip. Maybe Ft Zach Taylor if there's time. Lots of eating, drinking and walking around soaking it all in. Forty-seven days and counting; couldn't be more excited!

People on this forum are awesome about giving information, and no way are people too sarcastic. IMO you are all HILARIOUS. Even Buffetguy! He knows when he's been bad and has to go to the corner. I think many of us feel like we know you people just from reading your posts all the time. You probably can't begin to appreciate how much it means to us that you take the time to impart all of your knowledge. And how cool is it that you invite people to hang out every Friday. You all rock! Can't wait to get down there. Thanks for everything. (Sorry such a long post)

Mary

PS: The thought of a conch republic flag flying on my porch with a couple feet of wisconsin snow around it is so appealing, I'm going to BUY one when when I get there.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: New Contest! Win a Conch Republic Flag!

Nice post Mary. The judge has accepted the job and we're off. I have a personal goal of seeing the CR flag flying in as many countries/states as possible and so far I've gotten it flying in the south of France, Canada, Mexico, Korea and Scotland. I'm collecting pictures.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom