We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst vacation

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Worst vacation

My worst vacation ever was the very first year we went to Key West. Before you all jump on me let me explain. Being the first time we were going to Key West we weren't really sure how we would like it but decided to take a chance, then, Andrew hit two weeks before we were to leave. The first year we drove down after the flight into Miami. After we got past the devastation in Holmsted we started seeing the beauty of the Keys road. The rest of the week went the same way, unbeleavable, the best time ever.

In Miama airport on the way home I was in the ugliest mood I had been in for a long time. When we got home and trying to figure why the dark mood we came to the conclusion that because of our first experience there and not knowing when we'd be back, that sparked the mood. we knew right then that it was far from our last time in Key West and the very next year we bought our first time share week on Key West. We normally take a few vacations a year, one of them for a long time has been in Aruba but we still feel that our trips to Key West are our best and most favorite times spent.

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worst vacation

Oh Boy - do I know EXACTLY what you're talking about - that ugly mood when you're returning home. We laugh about it now and expect it to happen. Our plane ride home is so quiet - we don't talk to each other at all. We're lost in our thoughts of KW. For a day or 2 after retuning home, we feel almost depressed. Then we start talking about our fantastic trip and the ugly mood lifts. And we start planning our next trip. That planning keeps the excitement level up.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Worst vacation

When I travel I can't wait to get back home. I don't get moody because I'm usually very busy but I privately long to be back on the island, especially when I encounter traffic, ubermalls and everybody looking down when they walk....nobody says hello....all are dressed in gray....HELP! Get me home!!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Worst vacation

A couple of things save us from that terrible mood. 1) We know we'll be back. We always plan on at least two trips a year; and 2) we live in Orlando, so we're not leaving Florida and going home to snow up north.

Start planning your return trip on your way home. Make a list of what you want to do, new places to go, etc.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worst vacation

This sounds like one of the worst cases of The Keys Disease wet!!!!!

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worst vacation

OOPS!

That's yet

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
579 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worst vacation

I find that it helps if you get started on planning for next years trip as soon as you return home. As soon as I've made reservations for the next year, I start counting down. I go to KW at the end of January and it helps me get through the next few months of snow. Then, I know that I will return to KW before another dreadful winter.

Sue

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worst vacation

Hey - another neighbor! We're just down the road from 3 and 8. seems like more and more of us southern Mainers catching the Keys Disease.

Welcome to the club!

nc
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worst vacation

We started going to KW 15 yrs. ago and always felt the same way leaving, tears streaming down my face. We bought 3 Hayatt KW timeshares and started going down to KW 4-6 times a year. At that time we lived in the NE. We moved south 5 years ago sold the timeshares and now go to KW 1-2 times a year, but before leaving KW we book our Inn for the next vacation and count down begins. kelsie

Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
300 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worst vacation

My first time down, I didn't get blue, mainly cause I had just gotten married on Smathers Beach. I find that I have to stay away from the forums and webcams until I plan my next trip thought, cause it depresses me sooo much.

I took my first January trip down last year and it helped me to deal with what felt like another four months of winter up here. We just booked our second January trip this year, and it looks like it might be ritual from now on.

My only bad vacation was a trip to Tampa Bay in February where it was warmer in Chicago than TB and I had brought absolutley no cold weather clothes.

But at least I wasn't at work!

10. Re: Worst vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 20:15