We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

New Jersey
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

My boyfriend and I will be staying in key west starting this coming saturday. Neither of us have ever been there but have heard nothing but great reviews so we can't wait.

I've been reading a lot of the posts for the past few weeks but wanted to know of any MUST sees....or things we should skip out on. I have a lot of things printed out that we are going to try to do but any suggestions from people who've been/live there would be great. We are staying at the La Concha on Duval

We're both in our late twenties.

Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

my husband and another couple came back Aug 1st and it was our first time there...some tips....don't over pack we usually just had on tank tops , shorts and bathing suits...

the local people are just great..people are very friendly

for food the Meteor smoke house is wonderfull and so is the Blue Heaven resteraunt...it's alot of fun and great food, don't let the look put you off, lots of chickens running around..

Pirate soul museum is really cool and the trip to the dry tortugas is a great day, it is expensive and it is an all day tripbut we enjoyed it..the butterfly conservatory was neat also all these butterflys fluttering around your face

Irish Kevins is a blast, all of the bars are fun...

we thought the ghost tour was lame.sea doo tour around the island was wonderfull we had a great time and the tour guides were very informative.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,573 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

The one thing I definately do each trip is to go out on the Sebago Island T'ing. It leaves from the Bight, which is a 10 minute walk for you, at 10:00 and returns at 4:00, and goes to one snorkeling location and one kayak trip around a mangrove. They serve continenal breakfast, lunch, and beer and wine. They only take 40 people and it is a very enjoyable way to spend a day.

It is 79.00 if you just call, but you can save 10.00/person by booking on-line. And there are 5.00 coupons in the "See Key West Magazine. If this sounds like fun, try to do it early in your stay since it is not unlikely that you will want to do another, either the Stars & Stripes or Danger Charters.

Spend an evening at El Meson de Pepe on Wall Street and dance to the Cuban band. Have oysters at Crabby Bills on Green. Do a lunch at Blue Heaven and margueritas at Kelly's.

Pjk

aka

NJPete

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
482 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

NJLady

Just a thought, but how are you getting to Key West. If flying all the way to KW then no problem. However, if flying to Miami and driving along the Keys, make sure you allow 3 to 4 hours for the drive. It's 160 miles from Miami airport to the old town part of KW and it is a long slow drive. Views, however, are wonderful.

Usual touristy things are Duval Street, Mallory Square at sunset, Sloppy Joe's. Unfortunately, we were only able to spend two nights in KW, which wasn't long enough. We did, however, manage to walk in to Sloppy Joe's and get a table for lunch and enjoy some wonderful live jazz on the piano.

Enjoy the trip.

Harwich...
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

You did not mention how long you will be on KW, but no matter, rent bikes.KW is not just Duval St., bike around and see different nieghborhoods, " off the beaten path" bars/Rest. and see some of the smaller sights around town.

New Jersey
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

We will be spending 5 nites there. I can't wait...

Thanks for all the suggestions..i'll print them out and bring them with us :)

Key West, FL
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

The aquarium is great - it's the oldest on in the US. When you check in, ask the concierge for a copy of "Sharon Well's Walking and Biking Guide" - it is without question the best guide to the city. How do I know? I'm a local, and give it to all my out of town clients!

If you like independant/interesting films, check out the key west film society on Eaton street.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

A MUST DO:

Have a Key Lime Pie Cocktail or 12 at Sloppy Joe's

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

Ditto (once more) on the Sharon Wells tours, our favorite resource for learning about the history and architecture in Old Town.

Here's a link to the Duval St tour on the SeeKeyWest site:

http://www.seekeywest.com/duvalTour.htm

Harwich...
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

Sharon Wells tour guide is excellent, stop in at her gallery like we did and meet her. I would have recommended her cemetery tour but they are not allowed anymore(nor anyone elses for that matter) due to family concerns over exploitation of thier interred family members.Thats the story as told to us by Sharon,,but do it on your own.I'm sure there's a bit more to it but thats the basic reason.

I would say take the Seaplane out to Fort Jefferson for a 1/2 day trip but it appears you are getting a full schedule , so.. leave some time to relax.Have Fun!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Key West Saturday 8/20..any Suggestions?

Make sure you see one sunset from the roof of your hotel, another or more at Mallory, Ocean Key's Sunset Pier is another favorite and so is the roof top patio at Pier House. Another view would be from over around Schooner Wharf Bar. And plenty of music, drinks and friendly people.

Take a walk to and thru the cemetary for an interesting few hours. Southern most point bouy at the end of Whitehead.