We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good book suggestions

PA
Level Contributor
474 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
good book suggestions

Coming to KW in a few weeks and hoping to do a lot of reading. I love a good, engrossing novel when on vacation, don't you? the kind that you almost get a tear when it's over because you don't want to leave the characters. I need some good ideas.

some of what I've read and consider good vacation books - Memoirs of a Geisha, The Red Tent, Middlesex. I loved Kite Runner but found it way too depressing as a vaction book. Tried Life of Pi last vac. but couldn't get into it.

anybody out there with similar tastes who can recommend a good one?

Thanks - sue

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good book suggestions

http://www.jasperfforde.com/

his thursday next series is great reading!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good book suggestions

The Pact

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: good book suggestions

I've read and liked all of the books you listed. I know you said the Kite Runner was too depressing for a vacation book, but you might want to try A Thousand Splendid Suns by Husseini. It's also very sad, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I did The Kite Runner.

For light reading, I really liked the Harry Potter series. I know they're kids books, but they are well written.

I also liked Pillars of the Earth(Follett), the Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver) and Sarah (by Halter) - similar to the Red Tent in that it's fiction written about a biblical woman.

Enjoy your vacation

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good book suggestions

amazon.com/Travels-Michael-Crichton/dp/03453…

read this in bermuda one year...i love it

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good book suggestions

Steve Alten's MEG series... Meg.... The Trench... Primal Waters

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good book suggestions

I've read several of the books listed in the above posts and enjoyed most of them. However, when I'm in the Keys, I enjoy reading works by local writers many with stories based in South Florida. Tom Corcoran, Carl Hiaasen, Jimmy Buffett and of course Ernest Hemingway, are just a few authors I've enjoyed reading while in the Keys. Tom Corcoran's Alex Rutledge novels (murder mysteries) are set in KW, and are wonderful reads. I love reading his books while in KW, you're right there in the action. I ride my bike down the streets in his novels and eat/drink at bars that his characters go to. Carl Hiaasen has written many different types of books, even some children's books. My favorites of his are the very witty novels based on his concerns about problems in south Florida. Given the label, "environmental thrillers" you will be on the edge of your seat, plus learn a little about Florida's enviromental problems, crooked politics, etc.

Go to the book store on Fleming St. when you get to KW and they'll get you fixed up. They have many books by South Florida writers that they can recommend, whatever your taste may be.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good book suggestions

I always visit the Key West bookstore on Fleming to browse and try not to come away with too many new books to lug home.

Last July I was reading a biography of Rudyard Kipling and it went so fast that I had to start a book of ficton that someone had given me that I would not have read otherwise - Atonement by Ian McEwan. It was so surprisingly good that I picked up another by him, Amsterdam.

Pjk

Louisville
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good book suggestions

Two of my favorites from the last few years are older books that I had never read before - A Confederacy of Dunces as well as The Shipping News. Both were very funny but well written.

Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
303 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good book suggestions

A few I recommend:

Their Eyes were watching God- Zora Neale Hurston

All The Pretty Horses- Cormac McCarthy

Pride and Predjudice- Jane Austen

In Cold Blood- Truman Capote

Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray

I love going to the bargain section and just picking up a bunch of the 5.99 and under books and buying a large diverse selection of them so that if one doesn't engross me, I just move on to another.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good book suggestions

I really liked Water for Elephants by Sue Gruene (I believe that's the corrent author). I must say this is the only thought provoking book I've read in some time.

I picked up Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen at Island Books and found it a fun regional read. In fact I just picked up some more of his books to keep my sunshiney keys feel while I'm back home in Texas!

I also love the Janet Evanavich # series, they're a light fun read.

I also like to read books on the history of the areas that I'm traveling.

I 2nd the Hemingway rec's, you probably read them all in high school or college but I've enjoyed my re-reads of Hemingway as we've travelled.