We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Dec 11th - 20th Long

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Dec 11th - 20th Long

We flew out of Boston on American. We only brought carry-ons as we had a washer/Dryer. They immediately started telling everyone with a rolling bag that it was oversized and were making you check them. My bag has American emblems all over it, as it was approved by them, and that is why I bought it. She ignored me and took it. I asked if it was definitely going on our plane as I had no checked luggage and she said yes. Not. We arrived on time in Key West and guess what? No luggage. Reported it, they were shocked in Key West that they took our carry-ons, and promised to deliver them, but they had no idea where they were.

We got our car at Avis, a new Chevy Cobalt, and we were off to Century 21 to get the keys to the Shipyard Condo we rented. Checkin took 2 minutes and off to Publix and liquor store. We are spoiled here in the Northeast, our grocery prices are definitely lower and we can buy our hard alcohol right along with our groceries in the same store.

Found the shipyard condo, we were glad we had a small car as parking spaces are tight here. Our unit was on the second floor and had a slight view of the harbor. It was a great place,centrally located for walking & quiet, one bedroom, big screen TV, large deck, and fully stocked kitchen with an awesome blender. We made good use of that. Furniture and bed were very comfortable, we didn't bring our computer but it also had high speed DSL. We were just heading out a few hours later when our luggage arrived, soaking wet and covered in grease. I will be making a complaint. But at least it arrived on the same day as us. Now I can take a shower and change clothes.

We headed out on our first night for something to eat and a few drinks, we were exhausted so we agreed it would be a short night. Well we started at Sloppy Joe's, and did the whole Duval Crawl, we were sitting in the Green Parrot as we had to walk by it to get to our condo (this proved to be a problem for us) at 1:00 AM, I think we got back after 2:00.

Friday the 12th, we got up by 8:30 had coffee and decided to take it easy as we wanted to make it to the CTH happy hour. We got unpacked and sat around a while, then just decided to go out walking. We did okay until about 1:00 when we walked by Captain Tony's, we only went in for 1 and well, we were hurrying to the Conch Republic at 5:00 (Do you see a pattern?) We probably should apologize to all the people that night, it was great meeting everyone, but after the first hour, things get a little fuzzy. We again didn't make it home past the Green Parrot.

Sat. 13th. We wanted to make it to Schooner Wharf for the boat parade, so we decided that we would not be walking around today as we are weak and can't walk by any place, so we took a ride in the car out to Stock Island to look at some campgrounds for and extended stay for next winter. We looked at Boyd's, Leo's and Elmar, and we found the Hogfish. What a great place, we ate lunch outside, we shared some peel n eats, and my husband had the fish tacos, I had a burger. Everything was excellent. We went back to the condo and got cleaned up and had a few drinks on the deck. We ran out to the Harbor just in time to see the sunset, and then headed for Schooner Wharf. We got two seats at the railing that overlooks the tables in front of the bar. We had a decent view, the boats were great, we saw Tim and met his wife they were also there at a table. After it was over we started the crawl home.

Sunday we did some driving around and went out for a decent meal at Carolines, hit the usual places again.

Monday we had decided it was our day in all day, I had bought stuff to make spaghetti. We went to the pool for the day, I made out all my christmas cards. I thought about putting beach sand in them, but decided not to torture our friends too much. We got cleaned up and before I started to make the spaghetti we headed out to the post office to mail my cards. Well guess what, we had to walk by the Green Parrot, and we didn't make it by on the way back. We ended up playing Bingo at the bar and had a blast, I was making Spaghetti at 8:00 pm.

For the rest of the week, we relaxed by the pool in the day time, we went to Ft. Zach beach for a day, and drove around to look at some other campgrounds further up the keys. We didnt do many tourist things, as this trip was mainly to check out places for next year, and we have been going to Key West yearly for a long time, so we have done most of the boat trips etc.

We are not big eaters so most of our meals were apps or burgers, but a few of the places we did eat were Conch Republic, (good burger and chicken sandwich), Caroline's (great cajun pasta) Schooner Wharf for wings and peel n eats, Sports Page for Sunday football and burgers, my husband liked their burger the best, Hogfish (husband loved the fish tacos) and for breakfast we ususally never go out at all, but decided based on recommendations here that we needed to try Harpoon Harry's and Pepe's, both were execellent and bloody mary's awesome. I also like the Bloody's at Shooner Wharf.

My husband bought a new dive bag while we were there, so we had a checked bag for the way home, so we had to go to Pepper's to get a variety of sauce, and I got some hot Green Beans for Bloody's, also I like the Garlic Hot Sauce at the Conch Repubic, so I had to get some of that.

We managed to do the Crawl more nights than we should have, and saw all the usuals, Matt F**in Avery at Big Uns, JMH at Irish Kevins, Uncle Bob & Adrian at Rick's, some great singers at Captain Tony's and the Green Parrot, and a good band at Hog's Breath. Pete & Wayne were off while we were there, so we will have to catch them here in Maine this August at The Pier in OOB. Adrian also plays there in the summer.

Friday 19th, sadly we got up and started packing as we had to go home today. Checkout was at 10 am , but our flight wasn't until 6:20 pm, so we were deciding what to do that day when we got a call from home. Our friends said the Boston airport was closing. I got on the phone with AA, and they said it wasn't closed but down to one runway, and flights were backing up. She told me I could get on an earlier plane if I wanted (Not what I wanted, leaving Key West early) or for no charge she could get me on a plane the next day. PERFECT!! Called Cen. 21, they said I could stay another day, and I was a distressed passenger so they gave me a reduced rate. It couldn't get any better, an extra day in paradise. We got one last day in at the pool, and tried to drink up the beer we had left, and the best thing of the day, we got to go to CTH again, we got to meet everyone again, and some new people too. We had the best time, it was the perfect end to our vacation.

We managed to get home on Saturday, our flight from Miami was delayed 3 hours, as Logan still only had one runway open, but we made it in before they closed the airport again on Sunday for a huge storm, that was not very fun on our first day back, but I booked flights for a weekend the end of Feb, so I have something to look forward to now. We will be ther 2/27 to 3/2 at the Duval House, this time we are bringing 10 other people with us, See you soon..

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Dec 11th - 20th Long

DM - Great report and it was great meeting you two at Conch Tale Hour on the 12th ! Like you we had to wait an extra day to go home too from Ft Laud that weekend - what a shame!

A friend here has asked for recommendations for a condo there - sounds like you're happy with the Shipyard units.

Hope to see you again soon - either here at home in Maine or there in K.W.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Dec 11th - 20th Long

Wow it sounds as if you had a great time! I love the added bonus day.

So did you find a campground to stay next winter? My husband is retired and this may be an option for us.

Glad that you had a good time, thanks for posting.

Scranton, PA
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Dec 11th - 20th Long

Great report. I felt like I was there as I was reading.

I bet you really appreciated that last unexpected day in KW. That's one awesome ending to a trip!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
133 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Dec 11th - 20th Long

Thanks for taking the time to report your visit. We brought some sauces back from Pepper's too...five different bottles. We've already put a good dent in two of them. Sounds like you're already putting a cure for KW disease in motion with your Feb reservations...nice job!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Dec 11th - 20th Long

You really have to watch out for that invisible arm at the Green Parrot that comes out and drags you in...

Glad you had a fun time! It was a pleasure meeting you!

Limey

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Dec 11th - 20th Long

Mojitoland it was nice meeting you both at CTH, I would definitely recommend the Shipyard Condos, it was quiet at night, they all have central AC (I know only people from the North will need it)and it was in a great location for walking everywhere.

djad- we liked several of the campgrounds we looked at Boyd's was the most expensive, but had the most amenities, EL Mar sat on the water with no amenities, it was a little less than Boyd's but not by much. Camper must be at least 26 feet there. I don't think I would want to stay at Leo's, spaces were tight, and just heard from others that it might not be the place to stay, all though the price was the best. We really like Lazy Lakes about 18 miles up the keys on Sugarloaf. If you are a military retiree or DOD civilian you qualify for camping at Sigsbee and Trumbo Point. It is dry camping, but for the price if we go for long enough, I think that's where we'll end up.

Limey, it was great meeting you and thank you for explaining why we couldn't get by the Green Parrot, I thought it was us LOL

Only 7 weeks left until next time!!!!

7. Re: Trip Report - Dec 11th - 20th Long

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 14:23