We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking and Safety

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Parking and Safety

We'll be visiting Key West for the first time this May, and will be staying at Southern Cross so will have to park on a residential street or in a lot. Is the crime rate in Key West fairly low? We're excited about our trip, but I'm a little apprehensive about leaving my car in a lot.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking and Safety

Yes the crime rate is low but use common sense and keep your doors looked and do not leave anything valuable in the car.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking and Safety

That should be *locked*

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking and Safety

Thanks Arnie. Would a parking lot be better than on the street?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking and Safety

If the lot has 24 hour security or some type of guarantee then I would go for a lot but I am not sure any have that so it may not matter.

Clearwater,FL
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking and Safety

We've stayed a few times at the Southern Cross and have parked in the lot directly behind the Bull, which is about 75 yds away. It'll run ya $10 - $20 a day, depending on the season, never had any problems, and I'm from St. Mathews so I scare easily.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking and Safety

I have never had anything happen to my car when left in a legal spot on the street. Don't be apprehensive about leaving the car.

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking and Safety

As far as crime goes, be very careful if you are approached by 3 "women" with adam apples. There are 3 TA member's here, simkeith, pj and believe it not buffetguy that like to dress as women and can be a whole lotta trouble. Just remember if you see 3 scary lookin' women...it's them.

just looking out for our fellow TA member's. :)

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking and Safety

Thanks for your comments. I feel better now about having to leave our car somewhere else, although now I'm a little worried about three scarry looking women. lol

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking and Safety

We don't even have a homocide department in the City, we call the state guys in for that. Our morgue used to be the walk-in cooler at Sloppy Joe's (seriously!). There's petty crime and drug crime from the miami boys but your car will be fine.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking and Safety

Your car will be fine as long as you park legally, lock the doors and don't leave valuables in it. Key West is a remarkably safe town.

As for flattop's comment, all I can say is jealousy is unbecoming of you, hon. =) You are just bitter that you got booed off the stage at Aqua, and Seabus won queen for a day. LOL