We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angelina Guest House

Battle Creek, MI
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Angelina Guest House

Coming to KW in March and staying at Angelina's. My wife has a friend in KW right now and told her that it was not in a very good neighborhood. Any comments please.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angelina Guest House

If you're familiar with Key West, Angelina is between Blue Heaven and Truman Annex. We had no qualms about staying at Angelina and would stay there again in a heartbeat. I truly have not heard of anyone running into problems there and we were perfectly comfortable walking to and from Angelina during our stay.

Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angelina Guest House

I thought the same thing when we pulled in. I was like "uh oh"...But honestly it's not that bad. We walked back to the Angelina after MANY late nights and never had a problem. We had to move our car once and one of the residents of Bahama Village actually helped us find a new spot.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angelina Guest House

It is not in a bad neighborhood, but it is close to an area known as Bahama Village. You will be fine at Angelina, it's a very nice place. Bahama Village has a reputation for being a high crime area, but that is relative to Key West. Most of the crime is drug related. I would not advise walking south on Thomas St. after dark from the guest house. Remember, Blue Heaven and Santiago's Bodega, 2 of the best restaurants in Key West are in Bahama Village, and your guest house is close to both.

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
551 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angelina Guest House

we stayed there and had no problems, walked by and said Hi to stangers and they said hi back. walked back all 4 nights we were there and never had an issue with the neighborhood or people. go and enjoy.

just like with snakes, you act scared and you will be scared, act COOL and you will be COOL.

Don't worry...Be Happy !!!

Battle Creek, MI
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Angelina Guest House

Thanks for the quick responses. My wife will be a little more at ease. Ross

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angelina Guest House

Hey.. as a person who stays almost exclusively at The Angelina... tell your wife to worry not at all!

Here is why you sometimes here this on occasion... It's about one block from your room to Duval St. Between you and there is a apartment complex that looks a little run down... occasionally there is some couches thrown out or some garbage on the curb.

That is really the extent of it... My wife has walked dozens if not hundreds of times down this stretch by herself and never one even been somewhat hassled. And while there are some drugs on the island, you won't see dealers wandering about anywhere.

And once you are at the Angelina... on the other side are luxury condos... So you know you're not in trouble if you walk the wrong way one night=) It really is one of the safaest places on earth as far as i'm concerned.

MIDWEST
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Angelina Guest House

We've stayed there to no problems.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angelina Guest House

My daughter and 2 nieces, all very attractive, single young ladies in their 20s stayed there recently for a week. They never had any problems, even when walking back very late at night (or should I say early morning), with less than their full faculties. (O.K., they were drunk on their @$$'s). We have also stayed there many, many times and never had any problems whatsoever. The only time we ever had a problem in KW at all was one night when we were trying to walk to Santiago's Bodego a little later than we should have, and the gentleman in front of us was accosted by a woman who was obviously stoned and looking for a score. We just turned around and walked back to the Angelina without any further issues.

Not only will you LOVE the Angelina, but the owners (and Stephanie, too), will now become part of your extended family from this point on.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Angelina Guest House

I can't say enough great things about Angelina's. Convenient location to walk to any of the KW spots & Kevin & Janet (the owners) & Stephanie are awesome. We actually ran into Kevin & Janet at Kelly's bar one night & ended up having a couple of drinks w/ them - great people.

We walked home late at night & headed out early in the mornings and never had any problems or once felt unsafe.

We've already booked with them for 9 days again this coming May. In our opinion - we see no reason to try another B&B again :)

Oh - don't forget to try their homemade cinnamon rolls in the mornings! They're definitely worth the calorie splurge! Enjoy your trip & your stay at Angelina's!

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Angelina Guest House

I have stayed there many times and love the place and have never had any trouble.

I would put it this way, it's a naborhood that needs some maintance. Paint some of the houses and the church on the corner and get rid of the few junkey cars parked there and it would look like most other places in KW.