We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Questions about Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
General Questions about Key West

I am organizing a trip for 6 girls. We are flying from Toronto and would like to visit Key West and South Beach over May long weekend (Thurs-Mon. Hoping to get some some advice!

1) Are there any good hotels with suites near the action area(beach, bars, shopping). Or reasonably priced hotels between ($100-150 night)

2) What is a better idea? We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale. Driving or taking some sort of bus? I have read some forums and looks like there is no bus that goes from KW to South Beach

3) Where can I get a good priced rental car? The airport?

4) We want to do the shark tours and snorkeling...any suggestions on where to go?

5) Any suggestions on good bars/clubs to visit..we are 23-27 so looking to party as well.

Thanks for any feedback!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,443 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Questions about Key West

Here, at least, is 1/2 of 4), snorkeling trips out of Key West...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-c3631/Key-West…

It's a start

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Questions about Key West

Rent a car from FLL to KW - less expensive and you can see some things. And you have to be getting off a plane to get picked up by the shuttle.

You can rent one way.

Priceline is what I like for rental cars.

Extreme Key West or Key West Extreme for shark tour.

Place to go in KW? - search this forum, it's FULL of ideas on all your questions, many have been answered in the last week. Search box right above

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Questions about Key West

Hi Reemz81,

Definitely rent a car at the Airport in Fort Lauderdale... it will be the easiest way to get to Key West.

BTW, I personally think that with such a short visit you should give up plans to visit South Beach in Miami... and concentrate on Key West.

The drive to and from Key West from Fort Lauderdale is about 4 Hours (if there is no traffic, construction, accidents or other delays). The drive is uncomplicated, and very scenic.

IMO, Key West is a lot better than Miami any day. The Keys are a lot more laid back, and truly beautiful (the drive down the Overseas Hwy is visually stunning)... right out of the Caribbean.

There are tons of things to see and do in the Keys (besides Key West) and it is a great place to snorkel (afterall it is a coral reef). And the Bars, Restaurants, Clubs and Nightlife are fantastic.

As the others have said, you should browse back thru the KEY WEST FORUM (it is also SEARCHable) and you'll find lots of recent info on accomodations, bar info, etc.

Come to Key West, you won't be disappointed! Afterall there is a reason that people come back year after year (literally).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,963 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Questions about Key West

I agree that splitting the trip might not be a great idea, sounds like you might only have four nights.

I vastly prefer Key West over South Beach as well. But, I'm also way older than you, heck, my kids are all older than you guys.

If you really want 'clubbing' and great beaches, I'd just stay in South Beach.

If you want good snorkeling, lots more interesting people, and the wonderful 'vibe' that is Key West, head down the highway.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Questions about Key West

I don't know about totally skipping South Beach if you have never been....given your group, you would prob have a great time. That is a lot to cram into such a short trip though. On South Beach, make sure to see Lincoln Rd, not just Ocean Dr.

In KW, for the amt you listed, check out the Best Western Hibiscus, Budget Key West, Pegasus, or the Blue Marlin. The bigger hotels will be higher in price. Check into B&B's too like Angelina Guest House.

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Questions about Key West

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We will probably add an extra night because we want to really do both Sobe and Key West. We want the best of both worlds! Will priceline work to rent a car straight from the airport? What is the weather like during that time?

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: General Questions about Key West

If you're looking for budget KW hotels be sure to read the reviews for them on here before you book one. Peagusus has some really bad reviews on here while Best Western Hibiscus gets fairly consistant good reviews. Bottom line, do your research well when looking for affordable places.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General Questions about Key West

Pegasus and Blue marlin certainly are not cream of the crop, but for low price when you are looking to party it could be the way to go.

Renting a car right from the airport is your best bet. SoBe has plenty of metered parking and parking garages (7th St. 11th, Lincoln Rd)

May can be HOT !

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: General Questions about Key West

I'd agree with anyone who recommends the Best Western Hibiscus... Good location, clean rooms, great pool, friendly staff, fair prices.... What more do you need in a hotel?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General Questions about Key West

The Pegasus is a dump and has a reputation for being a flea bag. I would never recommend it. The Blue Marlin is quite a decent motel, basic but clean. The Hibiscus is a bit more upscale and has very nice, large clean rooms.