We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer

Battle Creek, MI
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Beer

Other than Happy Hour who has the cheapest beer on a regular basis. Draft or bottle. Thanks

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer

Do you really want to sit in a crappy bar that MIGHT have the cheapest beer by $0.25 per bottle rather than sitting in a fun bar enjoying yourself?

If all you want to do is drink the cheapest beer, stay home and grab a 6 pack of Buckhorn.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,160 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer

That's a stumper! I usually pay $4.00, $4.25, or $4.50 for a glass of Key West Sunset ale outside of Happy Hour at Sloppy Joe's or Red Fish / Blue Fish. But I'll bet many of the places along Duval have normally cheaper beer, Hog's Breath or Ricks or the Southernmost Cafe.

But I'd bet that since a lot of locals go to these types of places...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-c107649/Key-We…

...drinks would be inexpensive.

Pjk

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer

Great link Pjk! There's all kinds of little spots listed on there. It's good to know there's a spot to get a good drink even on a budget.

(I know, I know - I shouldn't go to KW on a budget, but if I wait until I'm not on a budget then I'll never get to go! And that would be a shame.)

:)

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer

Slo Pokey - there is nothing wrong with being on a budget in KW. It is very doable - and knowing some happy hour spots & appetizer specials is your first step in that direction! Our first trip to KW in '04 we were definitely on a budget then. My husband (then fiance) didn't have a job then but we didn't want to cancel the trip! Just "budget" in the things that you know you want to splurge on & then plan around that. You've already picked one of the best (IMO) & most reasonable B&B - so you're doing great! :)

But I have to agree with Buffetguy - don't nickle & dime around with drink specials. If you like the atmosphere or the view at a particular bar base that on your decision to hang out there, not getting a beer for a $1 cheaper. And it won't take you long to find some bars you like! Take advantage of some happy hours, but don't let the specials decide the only spots where you go or you'll miss a ton of places that make KW so unforgettable!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer

I have no problem being and traveling on a budget. It'd be a financial disaster not to have some sort of budget.

But to plan a trip around going to the place with the cheapest beer rather than a place that you really like? come on.

Find a place that you like, when you find that place, mentally be ready to pay $6.00 per beer rather than $4.00 per beer. Just have 2 beers instead of 3 beers.

More than likely the place you find that you like will have the same price beer as everyone else.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer

Because I like Beer and happen to like Bud lite you can get $2 Bud's at White Tarpon (near Conch Farm at the Harbor) get this "all day". Also there is a Market just up from Sloppy Joe's that will pour you a roady Bud for $2.

PJ

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer

Yeah, you definitely don't want to be a bar where you're not having any fun.

I'm not much of a beer drinker myself. I like hard apple cider (hornsby's) and I really like margaritas. I'm looking forward to trying a mojito - I've never had one before.

Southern New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer

The whole reason I go on vacation is to forget about life's troubles and relax. I behave like a drunken sailor on shore leave when I'm away, so the last thing I want is worrying about drinking with cheapskates. I tend to tip too much, drink too much and have way too much fun in a short period of time than I should while on holiday. Being a penny-pincher on vacation is a violation of the man-laws, so save enough money for your vacation to allow for carefree mayhem that does not include wasting time searching for the cheapest beer you can find. The beer gods (and bartenders) will respect you for it.

"Where there's Beer, there's Bones"

:-)

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer

How about buying some for the room to start the party then you can save by not buying as many pricier ones when you are out?

Orlando
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer

Over the years we have perfected a formula that allows us to drink $2.00 bottle beers, be entertained and have a great time. Here it goes -

Visit SWB each day - get to know the servers by name - laugh and joke with them so that they look forward to seeing you the next day - and tip very well. Most often it is a long hot day for them and the more that you can do to make their day better, the better service you will receive (applies anywhere).