We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NO! to cruise ship passengers

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,772 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
NO! to cruise ship passengers

I think this is interesting. Blue Planet says...

What we do not offer:

Tours or rentals for cruise ship customers.

Cruise ships are a leading cause of damage and death to marine ecosystems worldwide. The reef ecosystem near Key West has been largely destroyed in the last decade by deteriorating water quality. Cruise ships have greatly contributed to this problem.

If you care about our oceans think twice before you cruise

Pjk

Key Lime Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Lost Reef Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Key West Water Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Waterskiing & Jetskiing
Up The Keys
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
1. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 March 2009, 20:26
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

Because I love to cruise and this subject took me a little by surprise, I decided to do a little research and have been reading up quite a bit on this subject.

Although it is true that the cruise ships are not the best neighbors our oceans could have, there are a multitude of reasons why our marine ecosystems are disappearing at an alarming rate. Over-fishing is one very big reason, as is the over-development of pristine locations, especially the construction of what I refer to as "mega resorts". You also have to factor in the huge number of ill-informed tourists who contract excursions for diving, snorkeling, etc.., further damaging the reefs and corals with the use of tanning lotions, standing on the coral, or otherwise touching it. You also have the fertilizers and insecticides that are present in the water runoff that ends up in the ocean waters.

I guess my point is this: There is no way we can totally eliminate any or all of the above issues without creating significant socioeconomic issues, but we CAN each make a difference. Before venturing out on our ocean waters, whether on a ship or as a local tourist, do your homework. Be knowledgeable about what does and does not damage these fragile ecosystems and do whatever you can to protect them. After all, shouldn't we all be guardians of our natural resources?

Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
226 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

pjk: I've lurked here for a while.I respect your opinion. Ever hear of tilting at windmills?

4. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 March 2009, 01:51
Key West
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

I wasn't going to comment on this thread and will keep it very short.

I believe it is irresponsible to pinpoint one industry over another. The reefs in the Keys have many issues that is taking their toll among them are: Turbidity form cruise ships. Sewage from both Keys residents, visitors and areas well north of the Keys. Farm and chemical run off that poors out the Mississippi and many other factors.

Bonez

Oh is dumping 100's of snorklers and divers per day on the reef good for it? Are fishing charter and commercial boats anchoring at the reef good for it? Just askin.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

I too was not going to comment, but I took an environmental science class at our local college, and several of us did our class final project on the reefs, their deteroration and how it can be stopped. I specifically chose The Keys. In doing all my research, the cruise ships contribution didn't even make the top 5 reasons. Main reason that we could find, is runoff from all the farms just north of the Everglades and private homes, the sea temperature rising etc.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

Cruise Ships put a lot of polution in the water, they are required to dump off shore. It should be way off shore.

Even a privet boat is to dump their wase tanks three miles off shore. This puts them inside the reef.

Even if polution from boats and ships is a small part of the reason this should be stoped.

A small dent in the polution is better than doing nothing at all!!!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,772 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

This is kind of "On the one hand," and "on the other."

I've been told that Blue Planet will pick up people and take them to the starting point of their tours over on the Overseas Highway just off Key West, but I doubt that their business depends much on cruiseship passenges. This is certainly different from Sloppy Joe's taking this stand.

On the other hand, they are taking a stand on a subject that they feel is important, and this stand will cost them more in business from cruisers than they will make up by others who agree with it. Fury or Sebago says that they donate a small percentage of their revenues to reef protection, so they, too, are taking a stand.

It was just interesting to me that this company would come out and make such a strong statement. It has generated some amount of discussion.

Pjk

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

I respect them for making a stand to help the environment regardless of whether it costs them business, in the long run they may get more business for taking a popular stand for the environment, and yes I agree any step to stop pollution is in the right direction, I was only pointing out it wasn't the biggest culprit. There is something we all can do to help the reefs, to help prevent coral bleaching etc. You can visit http://www.reefrelief.org/

for some very good informaiton on what is happening and what you can do to help.

10. Re: NO! to cruise ship passengers

Removed on: 17 March 2009, 00:25