We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed Proposal!!

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Proposed Proposal!!

I am new to the TA forums and am thrilled that everyone here is so giving with their experiences. My girlfriend and I should be arriving in KW around 2 pm this Thursday for 4 days, settling in at The Reach, hopefully catching some rays (and a corona!) and heading over the the San Carlos for Howard Livingston & MM24 at 6:30 (thanks Seabus!!). While in KW we plan to:

-go fishing on the Gulfstream (on Crimms recommendation)

-Hemmingway House

-a sunset cruise (possibly Liberty Schooner, Western Union?, suggestions...? )

-possibly a kayak/snorkel trip on Danger or Sebago

-She loves Mexican food, so I may try to hit all three: Old Towne Mexican, Chango Loco & Chico's Cantina

-Also her favorite, margaritas... So definitely experiencing Margaritaville

-and of course as many of the staple bars as possible!

As the subject alludes, I am planning to propose in Key West!! And while I am fairly confident that proposing on a sunset cruise in Key West would be amazing, I was hoping that the KW experts might be able to help add to the experience. I initially booked Sat and Sun night at the Garden Hotel as it ranked among the most romantic hotels in the US (#4 according to trip advisor), and later saw The Reach and was sold on the resort look of the pool and beach for Thursday and Friday nights.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

All the best,

Rob

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

Hi Robdavisjr,

CONGRATULATIONS! On having found Miss Right, may you both be very happy and have a wonderful life together. (And lots of trips back to Key West to reminisce... afterall look at all the Honeymooners, Babymooners and Anniversary Folk who post here).

As for a "spot"... let me just say that all of Key West is super romantic. I am sure you'll get some great suggestions from the "locals" but if it was myself... I'd want it to include water & wine. (Might be why my User Name is Wine-4-2).

Perhaps a Sunset Cruise... or a Sunset Viewing (The Top is a great spot), or maybe a romantic dinner on the waterfront... Louie's Backyard and the Westin Sunset Key Restaurant both spring to mind.

I know wherever you end up you'll be happy with the memory that will last a lifetime.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

Congratulations! What a very nice trip you have planned for your GF! If you are considering going up to any of the other Keys, I'd suggest the beach at Bahia Honda (sp?), for popping the question. Beautiful state park.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

First add Salsa Loco on Duval to your Mexican food list. You need to diside if you want other people around when you Propose. I now my wife would like somewhere privite and romantic. Fort Zacks sunset comes to mind or on a Dinner Cruise with Isle Scapes boat goes out of the Harbour.

Good luck.

PJ

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

Not being the typical romantic person myself, to me, a sunset cruise on a schooner, just as the sun is setting on the horizon, you on your knees in front of god and everybody seems like a memorable moment that won't be forgotten soon.

Buster

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

Let me suggest Little Palm Island, it is beautiful. I would go for dinner at sunset. Dinner will be great and I can't think of a more romantic place.

Last time we were there (our 33 rd aniversery) we watched someone propose to his GF, what a wonderful site.

If you can't get to LPI then go over to Sunset Key for dinner. You will be able to take a walk on the beach and at sunset you will have the beach all to yourself.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

Congrats!

Little Palm would be my pick too. There is nothing like it.

You will love The Gardens. It is so romantic and a perfect place for what you are doing. Its small, quiet, romantic, no children running around and in a good location. You will love it.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

Here are a couple more ideas if Little Palm doesnt work for you. How about a sunset dinner cruise?

http://www.sunsetculinaire.com/

http://www.islescapes.com/index.htm

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

Just want to add a second to the advice of Salso Loco for another Mexican food stop. Great affordable food and be sure to sit outside in the back for atmosphere. If you encounter a little tornado of action moving about while you are there that would be Nancy the owner!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

Congrats to you and highest hopes for the most probable 'yes' in your future.

What ever you do... DON'T put the ring in food or drink. I've read a spate of articles about brides-to-be swallowing the darn thing and that kinda sinks the whole romance angle.... Getting it back, even more so. :-)

I thnk 'romantic' might mean different things to different people. Do you want people around or a quiet spot with just the two of you? (A word about sunsets... Jusy my opinion... Sunsets, to me, represent the 'end' of the day and the begining of a dark night... Sunrises, on the other hand seem to represent the beginning of a new day with it only getting brighter. Always wondered why many people get married at sunset other than the beauty when a sunrise can be just as wonderful. Just think'in out loud here.)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposed Proposal!!

i agree tim, i was married at 10am...just wanted to start the day off right.

congratulations rob, morning con leche from sandys and an engagement ring sounds good to me.